[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

------- Forwarded message

Date: Tue, 06 Dec 94 18:42:01 -0500
Author: "michael l. bohler"
Subject: I Like Ties, Too

[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

I will add my two cents to the shootout discussion and then go back
to my usual listen mode.

The comment was made that HE instituted shootouts primarily to draw
more interest to the sport of college hockey.  Hightened interest is
a good idea and great for college hockey.  What I do have a problem
with is some of fans this format might attract.  If college hockey
needs shootouts to draw more fans, then maybe they are the type of
fans college hockey doesn't need.

I live in Dayton, OH, which hosts the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL)
Dayton Bombers.  The ECHL has added shootouts this year.  What the ECHL
has always allowed, to a limited degree, is fights.  When fans go to
hockey games "to see a good fight" I start to wonder what kind of fans
they are.  Iv'e grown tired of games where the crowd errupts just as
much when a fight starts as when a goal is scored.

What made me swear off Dayton Bombers games was when I went to a
game a few weeks ago.  During play, a couple players were shoving each
other behind the visitors goal.  Meanwhile, in an attempt to clear the
puck, a defenceman for the visiting team launched a slapshot around the
back of the net from the corner.  The puck hit his teammate in the shoving-
match squarely in the face.  He went down immediately.  The crowd,
already screaming "hit him", went nuts.  I'm sure most of the crowd thought
he went down due to a good punch or shove.  But the people right behind
the net saw the puck hit him, and thier reaction made me sick.

Is it worth adding shootouts to attract some of these people?  No.
College hockey can attract fans to the game on its own merits.  I realize
this compairison is somewhat unfair due to the nature of professional
play, but I think I have a point.  There are good reasons to have
shootouts and good reasons not to.  I have presented a narrow
reason not to.

Many times Iv'e invited some of my Dayton Bomber-fan friends to Miami
games.  Besides a 45 minute drive, they think college hockey is boring,
in part, because there are no fights.  I have been able to get some
non-hockey watching friends down to some Miami games and they are now
hooked.  I hope to continue.

------- End of Forwarded message