Bill Fenwick wrote in part:

>Defensively, the Big Red had a dismal night.  One of the hallmarks of the
>Cornell defense in recent years has been their tendency to back off and give
>ground, rather than challenging their opponents when they come across the
>blue line.  I've grown to hate this style, and Princeton's third goal is a
>clear example of why.

   Clearly, this defensive style does not work for the Big Red (see Cornell's
record the last few years).  In theory however, I think it could work IF
(and this is a big if):
        1.  The forwards backcheck effectively, not allowing the centering
            pass.
        2.  The defensemen are fast/skilled enough to not allow the forward
            to get around them and be able to come up with puck after
            finishing the check in the corner boards.

OBVIOUSLY, Cornell does neither of these two well.  Given the fact that
Cornell has REAL TROUBLE moving the puck out of their own zone, why let the
other team carry the puck deep?  It seems to me that perhaps a defense
that "Stands 'em up" at the blueline would be more suited to the current
roster  (Mike Schafer where are your awesome hip checks when we need them?).

What about other teams out there?  Are they playing "stand 'em up" or
"let 'em in"?

Eric Hoffman
Cornell '88
SUNY-Albany??
Albany, NY
Let's GO RED!  Surprise those MI teams at the Joe!
Arrrgh! Only one point at home against perhaps the easiest travel partners
in the ECAC (other than Cornell/Colgate maybe :-().
McCutcheon must go. The program needs new life.