You read it right folks. The score was 13-0 wiping out the
MSU-BU score of 12-1 of the mid-eighties as the most lop-sided
game in the thirty year GLI history. I don't at this time even
know whother or not I want to post the box scores; but we'll see.
Ten minutes ago, I didn't even know if I wanted to comment on
the game. This was also MTU's worst loss since 1954 against Denver.

(For those of you missing it: MSU whomped Cornell 10-4 in GLI #2.)

This game followed a long 19 day off period for Michigan Tech and
Michigan. Just to make things interesting, Coach Bob Mancini of the
MTU Huskies decided to suspend 7 freshmen (Dupont, Harris, Meyers, Perrett,
Prokopetz, Roy and Sutton) for an infraction of the team rules. Sorry,
folks, what the rules were was not commented on. Now for those of you
following MTU for a couple of years, you know that our Freshmen have
been the reason why this year's team is better than in previous
years. In a showcase game against what may well be the best team in
the nation, we decided to give away almost two lines of many of our
better players. Great.

If that was enough, Jeff Mikesch broke his nose in a "horseplay
scuffle" in the hotel room before the game. Jeff was able to play
however.

It was clear from the beginning that Michigan was skating better and
had better control of the game. There are those that will argue that
MTU was int he game for the first five minutes. I didn't think so.
Michigan was able to take the puck away from MTU almost at will. The
first shot was indicative of this. Herr stole the puck from an MTU
player along the right boards at the top of the circle in the MTU zone
and snapped off a shot. It cracked the MTU armor. UM didn't shoot a
lot: they didn't need to. When they shot, they scored with an odd
save here and there. Herr's long second shot was blocked by Caravaggio
but bounced off the glove into the net. Legg got his first on a
2 on 1 ppg when Morrsion flipped the puck from the right to Legg
on the left who one timed a ten footer. Arnold and Legg added two
more in the period.

The 2nd period was more or less the same. Caravaggio got more saves
but no help from his team mates. Legg got a hat trick "almost wrap
around" we he took the puck from behind the net, finding Caravaggio
in position to block the true wrap around, waited until Caravaggio
fell and put it between the legs. Sloan got a rebound when two players
fell in the crease blocking Caravaggio from moving. Sloan's second
shot was a ppg from the center.

Muckhalt slapped a shot through Caravaggio's pads in the third. Knuble
finally got on the board and was follwed again by Muckhalt. Then
Hogan got a score when the puck bounced off a loose stick on the
ice in front of Caravaggio. (Why didn't a Tech player sweep the
stick away to the side or corner earlier?) Finally, Gordon scored
on a 5 on 1 play from about two feet off the crease. Where was the
Tech team? Where were they all night?

What an embarrassment. How can one spot a team like Michigan seven
players, (some of your best,) and hope to play hockey? MTU clearly
forfeited the game from the start and wasted everyone's time for
three hours. I don't know what the players did; however, there
must be better disciplinary measures than game suspensions when
playing in a showcase tournament against the truely good teams.

We face Cornell tonight and are likely to be beaten again if the
same players don't dress. Cornell is not a good team. MSU clearly
stopped them dead.

I don't know what is wrong with Buzak: he isn't playing as well as he
did last year. Anson Carter continues to amaze me. Somebody ought to be
considering him for the Hobey Baker. The UM/MSU game tonight ought to be
a thriller. UM won round 1 early in the season; I wouldn't bet against
MSU tonight. For a chance to see good Friday night hockey, tune in to
PASS tonight at 8:00 PM EST.

Let's get the pain over: the boxes:

Michigan  5 3 5 - 13
Mich Tech 0 0 0 -  0