denver beat brown 3-2 to win its third straight denver cup
ohio state beat air force 7-4 for 3rd place
attendance was announced as a record 7053
below find the all tourney team and two game reports

All tournament team
Goal    Wallinheimo (denver)
Defense Traggio (brown)
        Koch (denver)
Offense Richards (ohio state)
        Jardine (brown)
        kenady (denver) also MVP

                score           saves           penalty power plays
Air Force       1 2 1  4        12 8 13  33     14-44   2 for 5
Ohio State      3 3 3  7        7 19  8  34     10-20   3 for 6

Skating 4 on 4 falcon defenseman justin scott intercepted a clearing
pass and put the puck high and left to give air force the lead at 8:35
At 13:06 steve richards scored on falcon netminder mike benson on
feeds from shaffnit and winter.  The buckeyes went ahead on a 4 on 3
power play when sutton converted a pass from smith at 14:39.  ohio
state scored a third time with just 28 seconds left in the stanza
richards on a feed from mcmillan guilbault.

In the second, ohio state opened the gap to 6-3 doufour inassisted at
5:36, sutton, unassisted, short handed at 10:44 and holmes from
fraser and rathwell at 13:08.  A scuffle at 14:27 found ohio state
down 5 on 3 and air force capitalized with a 5 on 3 power play goal by
sadness from lafortune and bilek at 16:00 and completed the action
with the 5 on 4 power play (veneri from ryan) 23 seconds later

Ohio state opened the margin back to 4 on a power play at 16:41,
Richards getting his hat trick on a feed from Dufour and smith.  Air
force ot a retaliatory power play goal at 18:29, degironimo from
veneri and decker.

My biased eyes felt air force out played ohio state, but netminder
benson didn't have his best night.  He seemed to be fighting the puck
this evening.

referees were adam and boche with schoech on the lines. I felt adam
had a good night and kirk schoech was his usual competent self.  He
even called a misconduct on an ohio state player in what i can only
assume was response to some ill deserved verbal abuse from the buckeye
center.  His other classic move was to elbow the boards (which were
quite pliable) into an obviously partisan photographer who was questioning
the quality of the officiating while skating by said photographer

        score           saves
Denver  1 1 1   3       11 14  7  32
Brown   0 1 1   2       14  4  7  25

This was a rough game, and wallinheimo made the difference.  Brown
couldn't out fast denver so they tried to play physically and were all
over the pioneers' netminder racking up at least two penalties for
unwarranted contact and taking every opportunity to administer what i
felt were cheap shots.

Denver got on the board at 15:03 with laaksonen converting his own
rebound on a feed from mcmillan and dairon

Mcmillan netted a power play goal at 3:26 with kenady and gunther
getting assists.  They then went into a defensive shell, and brown
narrowed the gap at 6:00 (bradfrd from churchwad) on a shot from
between the circles that cleanly beat wallinheimo

mvp kenady got the eventual game winner at 15:21 on a feed from ricci
and elders, although brown, after calling their time out, cut the
deficit to 1 a scant 58 seconds later, mulhern from mckay and trach.
Brown was able to get the goalie off with about 30 seconds left, but
could not gain control in the offensive zone as time ran out.

referees anderson and seidel with swiador linesman.  I thought seidel
was the more consistent of the pair.

My son, jon, made the trip with me, and with his help, we did
find the $2 parking lot this evening, so belay my comment about $5
being too expensive from last night. He also reminded me that in
former years, one could leave the pioneer arena on university
boulevard between games and hit the ubiquitous fast food shops serving
the institutions patrons for a reasonably priced meal. This evening we
did just that after the game, preferring to hold our hunger for a
reasonably late snack.  Jon is looking forward to the trip to
providence this spring.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369