Karen Heasley writes:
>From Gazette-Telegraph (12/18/94)
>
>CC manhandles Minnesota, increases first-place lead
>
>Give Peter Geronazzo credit - he doesn't do anything halfway.
>
>First, the junior wing incensed the University of Minnesota coaching
>staff by crashing into starting goaltender Jeff Moen in the first
>period of Saturday night's game.
>Lucia told WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod that the Gophers had threatened
>to put a bounty on Geronazzo when the Tigers play at Minnesota on Jan.20-21,
>but would not say who made the threat.

This is a very serious thing...and someone deserves some kind of
punishment, or at least a stern tongue-lashing:

* Lucia for claiming that such a bounty was placed on Geronazzo, if it
was not true;

or

* The Gophers, if it *is* true.

And of course, I suppose there is a third possibility, that the paper
misattributed these comments to Lucia, but for the moment I'll assume
that did not happen.

At any rate, the business of bounties being placed on players' heads
is something that should not and cannot be tolerated in college hockey.
This is not the Wild West...nor the NHL.

I hope it is not true, but even if that is the case, I would still be
bothered by someone like Lucia making such a serious accusation.  One
way or the other, someone was very much in the wrong here, and I hope
the commissioner will deal with this severely.