In message <[log in to unmask]>  writes:

> > Bruce Crowder has joined the ranks of several other coaches in
> > requesting that 3rd periods at BC be played in 2 10-minute halves,
> > with the teams switching ends, to avoid perceived advantages
> > (disadvantages?) with the non-symmetric benches at Kelley Rink.  Do
> > other teams/rinks/coaches go through this???
> >

> >> And interestingly enough this took away a UML breakaway as the 10:00
> break
> >> hit.
>
> When I first heard about this "switch" last year, I didn't think much of
> it.  Now, after being there for a couple games, I have to wonder.  What
> rule, HE or otherwise, allows a visiting team to make this request?  Could
> BC refuse to switch, or in the spirit of fair play, are they (un)willingly
> obliging the other team?  Also, if they're going to continue to do this,
> why not play until the first whistle after the 10:00 mark (like the 2:00
> warning in fball)?  One of the teams could be involved in a key offensive
> surge, & having this unusual stoppage of play could prevent a goal from
> being scored.  Of course, in a such a situation, the defensive team would
> welcome the stoppage!  It just seems as though there are 4 periods with
> this planned interruption of every 3rd period. Any BCers out there care to
> comment?
>
> \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
> Dave Hatfield
> ULowell'86              Go River Hawks!!
> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Unfortunately I have been away from officiating too long to quote RULE numbers,
but there is a rule which if in the determination of the official there is an
unfair playing advantage at one end of the ice or another the third period can
be split having the teams switch ends.  The rule was originally intended for bad
ice conditions, that is if there was a problem with the ice and say one corner
was a large puddle, that would be consider an UNEVEN playing surface.  The RPI
women's team also requested a split third period at BC and were initially denied
by the official, however, on consultation with the BC coach they finally granted
the request.  I am not sure that this is the way to go about it, but all of
those who have seen the BC arena it is obvious that the OPPOSING BENCH is a LONG
way from the end of the ice they defend TWICE during the game.  Maybe there is
some officiating guru who can find the actual rule for us??  Where did Kenny Z.
got to any way??

Ryan Stone