[log in to unmask] wrote:

>         Why the hell was Masotta in goal vs. Princeton.(It makes no sense)

It was Dan Fridgen's plan to start Brian Masotta in goal all along.  Like any
good coach (Remember Bowling Green's goalie flaming?) when you have two
legitimate goal tenders, you play both, not just the "hot" one.  Masotta has
had the unfortunate experience of ZERO defense in front of him when he
has played.  You really can't blame him.

>         Masotta is a freshman, inexperienced, and not very good yet (as is to
>         be expected).  My question is why should Masotta be given important
>         RPI games as practice time when Tamburro could be in goal and RPI could
>         be winning the games they obviously could win.

Even Patrick Roy can't WIN a game for his team, if his team isn't IN the game.
Sure  on paper, RPI could beat Princeton, but if they don't show up to play, it
really doesn't matter WHO is in goal.   Masotta HAS to GET the experience.

>         The overall RPI team isn't strong enough to support a weak goalie.
>         This is evidenced by their need to depend on Tamburro to pull them
>         out of defensive disasters(as witnessed during the Clarkson game).

You're right, they're not strong enough.  But the answer ISN'T to rely on your
hot goalie.   They NEED a kick in the teeth every now and again.   There's FIVE
guys in front of the goalie the opposition has to get through...  THEY need to
pick up their game or they WILL LOSE not matter who's in goal!

RPI's played over expectation this year, and sometimes over their head.  They
don't have the depth, or an incredable standout.   Like Maine who is
showing BU that hockey is a TEAM sport, RPI's gonna have to play with a team
attitude to win and we should enjoy the wins we get.

Jim Chalfonte