RPI vs. Princeton

December 9, 1994 at Hobey Baker Memorial Rink

First, the boxscore:

RPI           0   1   0   =   1
Princeton     0   7   2   =   9

FIRST PERIOD

*Goals*

None

*Penalties*

 3:01  Rochon-RPI (interference)
 9:06  Sharp-PU (hitting from behind)
10:25  O'Connor-PU (cross-checking)
12:11  Healey-RPI (hooking)

SECOND PERIOD

*Goals*

 1:06  PU-Flahr (O'Connor) 4 on 4
 4:23  PU-Early (Kelley, Kopeck)
12:11  PU-Colquhoun (Brown, Brush)  pp
15:23  PU-O'Brien (Flahr)
15:53  PU-Brush (Masters, O'Brien)
16:10  RPI-Clarke (unassisted)
17:25  PU-Pelle (Sharp, Bois)
19:04  PU-Bois (Sharp) 4 on 4

*Penalties*

 1:00  O'Connor-RPI (holding)
 1:00  Colquhoun-PU (cross-checking)
 5:59  Miller-PU  (holding)
 6:31  Brick-RPI (interference)
 7:13  Rochon-RPI (high sticking)
11:16  Bench Minor-RPI (too many men on the ice-served by Aldous)
17:58  Kelley-PU (roughing)
18:45  O'Connor-RPI (roughing,  10 minute misconduct)

THIRD PERIOD

*Goals*

  :49  PU-Sharp (Colquhoun)
 3:19  PU-Pelle (Sharp, Bois)

*Penalties*

13:04  Smith-PU  (hooking)
16:58  Maye-RPI (roughing)
16:58  Colquhoun-PU (hitting after the whistle)
16:58  Battaglia-RPI (hitting after the whistle)

POWER PLAYS

RPI           0 for 5
Princeton     1 for 7

SAVES

Masotta-RPI    13   13   --   =   26
Tamburro-RPI   --   --    9   =    9
Konte-PU        4    5    1   =   10
Saltarelli-PU  --   --    7   =    7

Tamburro replace Masotta at the start of the third period.
Saltarelli replaced Konte at 3:19 of the third period.

---------------

Now, the commentary:

RPI was AWFUL!!!  Probably the worst game I have ever seen them
play.  No one had a good night.  There could not get the puck out of
their own zone to save their lives.  Princeton let up in the third period,
usually sending only two forwards into the RPI zone and not
forechecking aggressively.  Hence, few penalties in the third.  Had they
not let up, 15 goals would not be out of the question.  I had predicted a
loss before this game, as I felt Princeton was the tough, physical kind
of team the Engineers have trouble with.  I never expected what I saw.
Word to the wise around the ECAC:  You can't afford to make
mistakes against Princeton.  The Tigers may not steal wins away from
you, but they will certainly punish you if you hand them an
opportunity.  And the opportunities were plentiful tonight.  The Tigers
played a strong, solid game.  Not flashy, but got the results.  RPI was
fugly.

Also, the Engineers seem intent on not using the 2 minutes allotted
them during a power-play.  3 of the 5 RPI power plays were cut short
because the Engineers took a penalty, invariably a stupid one in the
offensive zone.  Could have used that extra time a man up.  Princeton
only scored 1 of their 9 on the power play.  That's how well they
dominated play.

If you saw the Army game, RPI played well in that game compared to
this one.  It was as though they had never skated together before warm-ups.

Adam Bartell was injured and did not return to the action.  Fell on his
side and could have sustained a hip injury, but no official word.

It was just bad.

Kurt Stutt