I find it VERY interesting that Dartmouth supposedly played
Williams on NOV 4.

        Williams,  as we know,  is a D-3 member of the ECAC East.
For members of the list not into D-3,  the ECAC East is composed of
D-3,  D-2,  and minor D-1 schools in New England and New York.   The
ECAC East,  at the insistance of NESCAC (featured in Sports Illustrated a
couple of weeks ago),  agreed to limit the season to a NOV 1 start of
practices and a NOV 18 start of games.   (Btw,  I happen to agree with these
limitations if it keeps the conference together  --  especially in light of
the exciting and competitive seasons of recent years.)

        What I find intriguing is that Williams would schedule a D-1
opponent 3 days after their practices started.   This,  in addition to the
rumors making the rounds this Fall that the drinking scandal at Williams
went a little deeper than what has appeared on the surface.   In particular,
the so-called captains' practices are alleged to have excluded "non-recruited"
players.   (We all know that the NESCAC's don't recruit:-):-))

        The NOV 18 date may have been for conference games only,  but to
schedule a D-1 opponent 3 days after practices start is pretty odd.

        -- Dick Tuthill