---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> Subject: Harvard-Brown
>
> For the Harvard fan, the most depressing had to be the game-tying goal that
> was waved
>> off in the final minutes (according to the ref, the whistle had blown:
>this > was a hard one to call, and I couldn't tell from where I sat).
>
>Charles, I at the game sitting just over the Brown goalie during the
>third period.  As I saw the play, the Harvard forward (don't know his
>name) forced the play at the blue line and the Brown defenseman almost
>misplayed the puck as it drifted in on Parsons.  Parsons immediately went
>down to cover the puck.  The ref, from his position behind the Brown net,
>blew the whistle when he lost sight of the puck, IMO, clearly before the
>second Harvard forward charged the goal mouth and dislodged the puck into
>the net.  I do agree with you that the level of intensity displayed by
>the Brown players seemed to be a notch above Harvard's.

Yes, that was more or less what I saw, but I was more on the other side
of the rink. I do think it was a hard one to call: as we know, these are
decisions occuring in the space of a few seconds, if that, and the time
between the whistle and the second Harvard forward in was pretty tight.
My inclination, in these things, is to favor the goalie though. Parsons
got whacked pretty hard by the Harvard forward (I wasn't sure who it was,
could have been Coughlin), and spent some time on the ice. This
actually happened on both sides: Tracy got some good hard whacks as well.
Some of its going to happen, but this seemed a little excessive.