Responding to msg by [log in to unmask] (Wayne Smith) on

>G.M. Finniss points out ...
>>Hockey East     12 games played, 4 shootouts
>>CCHA            24 games played, 1 tie
>>WCHA            27 games played, 1 tie
>>
>>Sort of makes you wonder if HE teams are playing for
>the shootout.
>
>33% is an extraordinary number, yet the WHCA and CCHA
>numbers are almost  as strange(4%).  There haven't been
>many games played yet, but a quick  look at the last 3
>years gives the following:
>
>   91-92  131 of 851 ot   15.4%
>   92-93  120 of 894 ot   13.4%
>   93-94  146 of 888 ot   16.4%

A was thinking about all the ties in Hockey East last year and
decided to look at how many points teams could have received if
HE had the shootout last year.

Original Shootout System      Pt Range
                     W   L  T High-Low
Boston University   21   3  0  42 - 42
Umass-Lowell        14   6  4  36 - 32
New Hampshire       13   9  2  30 - 28
Northeastern        10   8  6  32 - 26
Providence           9  13  2  22 - 20
Boston College       7  12  5  24 - 19
Merrimack            8  14  2  20 - 18
Maine                3  20  1   8 -  7

Modified Shootout System      Pt Range
                     W   L  T High-Low
Boston University   21   3  0 105 - 105
Umass-Lowell        14   6  4  82 - 78
New Hampshire       13   9  2  71 - 69
Northeastern        10   8  6  68 - 62
Providence           9  13  2  51 - 49
Boston College       7  12  5  50 - 45
Merrimack            8  14  2  46 - 44
Maine                3  20  1  18 - 17

From this we see that BU and UML would still be 1-2 with either
point system.  UNH would be in danger of losing third to NU
under the original system, but can not be caught with the new
system.  It is among PC, BC and MC where the standing might
have changed under either system.  Under the original system BC
could move ahead of Providence with only 4 combined BC SO wins
and PC SO losses, but under the new system BC would have needed
to win all 5 SOs and PC lose both its SOs, which would be
unlikely (but possible).  Merrimack could also move ahead of
BC, but under either system BC would have to lose all 5 SOs and
Merrimack win both its SOs.

So even last year, with a large number of ties, it would have
been unlikely for the league standings to change under the
current point system.  So why have a shootout at all?
Obviously to give the fans something to cheer about at the end
of a tie game.  We will have to wait and see if the shootout
actually causes a change in league standings this year.

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!