The Lawrence (Mass.) Eagle Tribune ran the following short article
today on Steve Duncan, a friend from high school and former roommate
of mine at RPI.  It was kind of nice, so here it is.  I never really
said anything about this before, but RPI followers should know they
have a class act in Dunc as top asst to Dan Fridgen.

=====
Ex-Central Goalie Now RPI Assistant
by Hector Longo

It started as repayment of a debt to the game which he loved.

"Hockey's been so good to me," said Steve Duncan.  "It allowed me to
go to school, to do some great things.  I started out as a volunteer.
I felt I had to give something back."

For Duncan, who turned an outstanding high school career at Central
Catholic into a scholarship to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, that
good deed soon became a life's dream.

Duncan, of Tewksbury, has gone from volunteer assistant, to restricted
earnings assistant, to his current position as full-time assistant
coach at his alma mater, RPI in Troy, New York.  RPI came in and
defeated Merrimack College, 2-1, on Sunday.

With his educational background, including a master's degree in
business administration from RPI, it would have been simple for
Duncan, 27, to hang up the skates for good and head to greener
(monetary) pastures.

But life on the road with the Engineers is just too good.

"I work with great people and the players are terrific," said Duncan,
who was originally signed to play at RPI by Andover's Mike Addesa.
"The travel is tough, but I'm very happy."

Duncan, who's married to the former Colleen Hornby of Lawrence, says
she deserves a bundle of credit.

"Sometimes, I'll be away for two weeks at a time, scouting in Canada,"
he said.  "She's been great.  She puts up with me."
END
=====

Something really unusual to me happened before Sunday's RPI-Merrimack
game, as Dunc and I spent some time talking about various things...when
the subject turned to hockey and Merrimack's trip to Colgate on
Friday, I realized I had to be careful what I said so as not to give
him a free scouting report, because we weren't on the same side
anymore. :-)  Very strange feeling...but I'm happy he is doing so well
and it couldn't happen to a better guy; I like to see good things
happen to good people.

It was interesting that he asked about several Merrimack players...players
he and RPI had been looking at but who wound up at MC.
     <<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (WCCM 800 AM) >>>>>