It's an interesting thought, but I have seen all four of the HE SO
games - 3 on tv, and I was at PC-Merrimack - and I didn't see anything
different between last year and this in terms of teams playing for the
tie.  That is, I noticed road teams (Maine, PC, etc.) playing for the
tie, and home teams (BU, Merrimack, etc.) turning it on to try to win.
That's not so unusual.

I don't think the teams are playing for a SO so much as they are
trying desperately to hold on and be guaranteed at least 2 points out
of the game.  Just like before (except that before the tie was worth 1
point).

Next question would be, then does the SO really get you anything other
than exciting the fans, since it doesn't seem to be having an effect
on how many games end in ties?  We'll have to see if more teams go for
the win now that everyone knows a win is worth 5.  I think some teams
still didn't know that this weekend.  Talking to Mark Cornforth
(Merrimack captain) after Saturday's game, he did a doubletake when I
said something about picking up 8 points this weekend, and I ended up
explaining the change to him.  That means he didn't know it in the
course of Friday's game (a shootout) either.

BTW, on Cornforth...if you read my post about the Merrimack fans this
weekend, I mentioned there that Cornforth had an involvement in
attracting fans to the game.  I found out that what he did was to get
approval to send a campus-wide audix (voice mail) message to
everyone's mailbox, telling them about the event being put on by the
Program Board and asking people to come down and support the team.
The result was perhaps the best home crowd at Merrimack in over 5
years (more people have shown up for Maine, but they were Maine fans
:-)).  It backed my theory that a big reason why students weren't
coming to the games was because they simply didn't know about them.
We'll see what happens the rest of the season.