Responding to msg by [log in to unmask] (Mike Machnik)

>My first thought upon hearing this result is, what the
>heck is up with  BU?  Last year they had an easier time
>with Lowell.  I am not  surprised that BU scored 16
>goals in two games vs Lowell, but allowing  14?!?  Has
>Crowder figured out the Terriers' defense?  Is BU's
>defense  much worse than we thought?

First, I do not think BU "had an easy time with Lowell Last
year".  O.K., the 9-1 blowout was easy, but Lowell won the
second game 4-2.  The third game was a 5-2 BU win, but Lowell
put 31 shots on Herlofsky, 13 in the third.  As for the Hockey
East Championship Game, BU only won 3-2 as Roloson stood on his
head stopping 35 of BU's 38 shots.  "Easy" indeed.

Second, BU's defense is much worse then we thought.  Unless
they can improve it looks like all their games will be high
scoring affairs.

>If I were BU, I might reconsider that WABU deal
>:-)...BU has given up  13 goals in two WABU games (one
>an EX).

BU also gave up 7 goals in an untelevised game.

>Before this season, I questioned whether Bullock would
>be able to  repeat his performance of last season
>without the players like Murray  and Henry that he had
>last season.  I also wondered whether he might  suffer
>from the sophomore jinx that plagues so many players.
>I think  that after this weekend, those questions have
>been answered, and I am  happy to say I was wrong.
>This guy is on his way to putting up  Kariya-like
>numbers.  2-3--5 in his first HE game vs Mass Amherst,
>then a repeat 2-3--5 against BU Friday according to
>Neil.  I don't  have his totals for tonight, but with 7
>more Lowell goals, he had to  have added to his
>totals.

Greg Bullock got 5 more points on Saturday night, giving him
4-6=10 in 2 games against BU.  On the other hand he got no
points against Colgate and St. Lawrence (according to WABU).
Let's see how he does against the rest of the league.

>The prettiest shootout goal thus far goes hands down to
>Greg Bullock  of Mass Lowell.  He skated in, then
>turned a 180 and showed Herlofsky  his numbers, and
>lifted a backhander past him.  Herlofsky seemed
>unprepared for this move and frozen for a moment, just
>long enough for  Bullock.  But with the game tonight
>being on tv, I have to think that  1) all the other
>coaches saw it, and 2) he's going to have trouble
>doing this again.  When teams prepare for Lowell,
>coaches will work  with the goalies to make sure they
>know what to watch for.  It will be  interesting to see
>if Bullock has a repertoire of nifty moves to use
>throughout the season.

Three of the four shootouts have been on TV.  I think Maine's
versus Northeastern being on NESN helped BU and BU's versus
Maine on NESN helped Lowell.  Now Lowell's being on 68 and 50
will help the other league teams.  Only Providence and
Merrimack have no easily available video of the shootout for
the rest of the league.

>The teams' performances in shootouts:

>3 Mass Lowell   2/5  .400

This should be 2/4  .500.  Lowell did not need their last
chance.

>                GOALIES
>4 BU            6/8  .750

This should be 5/7  .714.  Again, Lowell only took four shots.

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!