Responding to msg by [log in to unmask] (Adam Bryant) on

>  The situation was: Two penalties against Vermont were
>already on the  board, with one against BC when Vermont
>had another penalty called  against them.  At the time,
>there was 1:00 remaining on one of the  two, and 1:11+
>(more than 1:11) remaining on the other.  Instead of
>changing the 1:00 penalty to 3:00, like they should
>have, they added a  third penalty to the scoreboard of
>2:00.  They then proceeded to play,  with the 2:00
>penalty not counting, as the other two counted down.
>Inevitably, when the 1:00 penalty ticked off the board,
>the player who  was listed in that slot skated onto the
>ice.  9 seconds later the  referees saw 4 Vermont
>skaters on the ice and whistled them for  "too many
>men".
>
>  Now, once the referees realized what happened, they
>did the best  they possible could and reset the clock
>back to when the penalty  expired, as if the clock had
>stopped at that moment.  No additional  penalties were
>called on either team, and the play continued at that
>point.  But, it was a situation that should never have
>occured and  resulted in another 10 minutes or so added
>on to an already long game.

     I must state that since Conte Fourm's scoreboard has 5 or
6 penalties clocks per team the penalty was recorded correctly.
 Adam is thinking of BU, which has only 2 penalty clocks per
team.  The problem was that the BC 'gatekeeper' in the Vermont
penalty box allowed the Vermont player to leave the box when
his penalty expired, despite it remaining a 5-on-3 BC
powerplay.  After the referees confered they made the correct
decision, in my opinion.

     As for 'problems' at Conte Forum, I could barely
understand the announcements over the PA system during the
game.  The official scorer also never annouced shots for the
game.  No attendence for the game was annouced either.

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!