On Tuesday, the most frequent Spartan contributor on the list (and thank you
for that, G.M.-- Lin and I both are glad you contribute so often), G. M.
Finniss, wrote:

>  MSU, this year more than any other in recent memory, is a
>  finesse team.  They don't have a real enforcer on the team
>  (though Tuzzolino is trying his best) and their defense
>  hasn't really gelled.  (Evidence: we have the fewest
>  penalty minutes in the CCHA.)  Right now, things aren't
>  clicking.  The freshman line of Watt, Berens, and Keyes
>  went cold about 7 games ago.  Berens has looked very good
>  on the second penalty killing unit with Murray.

While it's true the Spartans have no real enforcer on the team (in fact, there
doesn't seem to be even a part-time "enforcer" this season, Tuzzolino
included), the statement that:

          "their defense hasn't really gelled"

is one that I can't allow to slide past without comment.  In fact, it seems to
be *way* off base.

If it were not for MSU's defense the team would be sitting close to the cellar
in CCHA standings.  The only saving graces the Spartans have enjoyed to date
are Mike Buzak and the defensive line -- including the freshmen!

Buzak *is* marvelous!, but he hasn't done it all alone.  And yes, I'm biased
(my son is a freshman defensman).

But the real problem MSU has faced (and with which it has not yet come to
grips) is the lack of a strong offense.  In far too many games the puck has
spent most of the time in the Spartan zone.  Even UIC was able to control the
puck against us better than we've been able to control the puck against most of
our oponents.  That's how they managed to tie us in Chicago.

The MSU defense may have some ragged edges (especially the freshmen), but the
fact is that much too often the Spartan offense is just out there skating,
fumbling passes and trying to keep up with (or avoid) the opposition's defense.
 Steve Guolla (who shows moments of brilliance) and Anson Carter (who is "often
around when something happens" but has yet to MAKE anything happen) are both
impressive -- when they're working.  But I haven't seen either of them get
really serious yet.  Both seem *loaded* with talent.  The season is more than
30% played, however, and IMHO it's still unfocused talent.

Hopefully this weekend's matches against Ohio State and LSSU will make me eat
those words!:-))  See you at Munn!

     -- Bob Gaskins
        GO GREEN!!! -- *Please*