On paper, I suppose, this might look like a good game.

Two top ten teams, a close game, lots of power plays, real exciting.
Right?

Wrong. The first period in particular was terrible. The two teams
together had a pathetic nine shots on goal. Not that this was because
of terrific defense, but rather it was a study of ineptitude. Missed
passes, lack of puck control, falling on the ice. Perhaps I am being
a little too hard on these boys, but it was a real yawner.

There was finally some scoring in the second, and it was all at once.
Three goals in a span of two minutes, as the teams were skating 4 on
4. After that, I started to hope for more coincidental penalties, so
the game might be more interesting.

My companions and I were watching Anson Carter a little more closely
tonight, after his fine performance the previous night against
Minnesota. There is something a bit odd about him that I noticed upon
closer scrutiny. He is always involved in the big plays, which is why
I noticed him in the first place. Something exciting happens, and
hey! Carter is right there. But when normal play proceeded, he looked
less striking, out of position, or skating slowly; not hustling. A
strange contradiction, it seems: he was still involved in many
exciting plays, but he doesn't seem to make stuff happen. Guolla
impressed me much more on Saturday.

Overall, Michigan State seemed much less impressive than they had
been hyped to be. Michigan was a much better, tougher team. Look for
Michigan State to finish second or third in the CCHA, if they look
like they did this weekend.

Wisconsin was even more disappointing. After some fine WCHA
conference play, I expected more. Admittedly, the first period of
their game against Michigan looked great, but they couldn't sustain
that level of play. One good period of hockey out of them the whole
weekend. If this continues, they are definitely a second tier WCHA
team this year.

One good thing was the officiating. With so many people (me included)
complaining about the quality of the refs this year, this game was
fine. Called very tightly, which kept the two teams out of trouble. I
expected the game to be a continuous scrum, but thankfully the
officials called a good game and kept that from happening.

The highlight of the game was not on the ice, but off. I met and
talked to John H. from Michigan, and he seemed like a friendly,
knowledgeable hockey fan--a joy to chat with. Thanks, John! It was a
pleasure.

Despite this, the exciting College Hockey Showcase seemed like it was
going to be a  bit of a dud, with mostly boring games for the first
three. Ah, but then...

                                                Lee-nerd

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov