Headline: McHugh scores hat trick, but sidelined with injury
Publish Date: 11/28/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Gophers hockey co-captain Justin McHugh is known for his big-game
performances.

He scored the game-winner against St. Cloud State in the final game
of the 1993-94 regular season to lift the Gophers into second place
in the final WCHA standings. McHugh had a natural hat trick against
Denver to open the WCHA playoffs last season.

And in Minnesota's two most important games of this season to date,
he scored four goals in a little more than four periods this weekend.

However, McHugh's ice time was cut short after he absorbed a hit at
the 16:29 mark in the second period of Saturday's game against
Michigan. McHugh went down with a ``moderate'' left knee sprain and
will be sidelined from six to eight weeks.

McHugh hopes to return for the Colorado College series that begins
Jan. 20. ``You never trade a victory for an injury,'' said Gophers
coach Doug Woog, adding that a knee injury in hockey is an extremely
delicate situation and will require patience on McHugh's part. ``Even
a lost tooth would be a toss-up.''

The good news is that his injury will not require surgery.

``I'll be back,'' McHugh said after Saturday's game. ``I'll go
to rehab every day and I'll work at it, but I'll be back and
that's all that matters.''

The injury ended the latest chapter of McHugh's scoring explosions.

He was nearly at a scoring stalemate when Woog put Scott Bell on the
first line with Bonin and McHugh.

McHugh had only scored five goals all season, but tallied a hat trick
on Friday night that included the game-tying and game-winning goals
in the third period against sixth-ranked Michigan State.

His final goal was an exciting individual effort, but McHugh credited
linemates Brian Bonin and Bell for the setup.

``My linemates have played really well,'' McHugh said. ``Bell always
gives 100 percent; that's his best asset.''

Bell was busy giving his all on the forecheck when the puck was
kicked out to McHugh in the offensive right corner.

McHugh took the puck and skated toward the net when the Michigan
State defense came underneath to stop him.

After a couple of nifty moves, he pulled the puck to his backhand and
snuck it between the legs of Michigan State goaltender Mike Buzak.

That goal was McHugh's second game-winner of the season. He had the
winning tally in the Gophers' overtime victory against Wisconsin in
the Oct. 28 series opener.

``They were bound to start going in,'' said McHugh, who has had
numerous chances in front of the net this season. ``I've been getting
the puck a lot and it was real frustrating, but I just kept peppering
the net and they finally went in.''

Gophers notes: McHugh will be joined by Nick Checco, another
frustrated scorer, in the rehabilitation room.

Checco suffered a slightly separated shoulder when he overextended on
a slap-shot in the first period of Saturday's game against Michigan.
A Michigan player blind-sided Checco and put him on the shelf for two
weeks. The sophomore probably won't miss a game.

The Gophers are idle until Dec. 10 and 11 when they face Denver.

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
Go White Bear Lake Bears!!!              Ski-U-Mah!!!