Since this is a long one (of almost Machnikian dimension), you might want to
skim for what you're interested in:

Contents:  Box Scores:  Mich vs. Wisc
                        MSU vs. Minn
                        MSU vs. Wisc
                        Mich vs. Minn
           Notes:  My comments on each game (in same order as boxes)

Michigan      1 4 2 - 7
Wisconsin     2 0 0 - 2

First Period:
 4:25 MICH Knuble 6 (Morrison, Schock);  MICH 1, WISC 0
      4:35 MICH Frescoln (interference)
 7:05 WISC Enrico 2 (Bradley);  MICH 1, WISC 1
      7:25 WISC Carter (roughing)
      7:25 MICH Frescoln (roughing)
     12:31 MICH Knuble (checking from behind)
12:36 WISC Elick 1 (Williams), pp;  MICH 1, WISC 2
     13:04 WISC Tompkins (holding)
     15:11 WISC Balkovec (roughing)
     16:20 MICH Hilton (slashing)
     17:07 WISC Krug (double roughing)
     17:07 MICH Luhning (double roughing)

Second Period:
      2:35 WISC Elick (hooking)
 3:37 MICH Knuble 7 (Botterill, Hilton), pp;  MICH 2, WISC 2
      5:01 WISC Raygor (interference)
 5:40 MICH Knuble 8 (Morrison, Legg), pp;  MICH 3, WISC 2
      6:27 MICH Luhning (charging)
      8:35 MICH Sloan (tripping)
10:55 MICH Botterill 8;  MICH 4, WISC 2
     11:48 MICH Knuble (double roughing)
     11:48 WISC Balkovec (double roughing)
     11:48 WISC Rafalski (roughing)
     12:12 WISC Tok (slashing)
     12:12 MICH Botterill (holding)
     16:13 WISC Tok (slashing)
17:39 MICH Legg 5 (Botterill, Hilton), pp;  MICH 5, WISC 2
     19:03 MICH Gordon (double roughing)
     19:03 WISC Elick (double roughing)
     19:03 MICH Muckalt (roughing)
     19:03 WISC Enrico (double roughing)

Third Period:
 2:52 MICH Botterill 8 (Luhning);  MICH 6, WISC 2
      5:54 WISC Mike Strobel (holding/fighting/game
           disqualification)
      5:54 MICH Luhning (holding/fighting/game
           disqualification)
      8:03 MICH Herr (roughing)
      8:03 WISC Balkovec (roughing)
     13:11 MICH Knuble (cross-checking)
     16:51 WISC Bianchi (high-sticking)
     17:54 WISC Elick (cross-checking)
19:47 MICH Morrison (Knuble, Botterill), pp;  MICH 7, WISC 2

Shots:  MICH 9-15-12--36;  WISC 18-8-7--33
Goalies:  MICH Turco, 60:00, 33 shots, 31 saves;  WISC
     Daubenspeck, 60:00, 36 shots, 29 saves
Power Plays:  MICH 4/9;  WISC 1/5
Referees:  Greg Shepherd, Chick Yackel
Linesman:  Jon Campion

Michigan State   1 1 0 - 2
Minnesota        1 0 2 - 3

First Period:
      0:30 MSU Tuzzolino (high-sticking)
      2:28 MINN Moser (hooking)
 3:09 MSU Suk (Murray, Smith), pp;  MSU 1, MINN 0
14:25 MINN McHugh (Bell);  MSU 1, MINN 1

Second Period:
      0:38 MSU Carter (interference)
      4:09 MINN Dustin (holding)
 9:35 MSU Carter;  MSU 2, MINN 1
      9:35 MSU Crane (interference)
     13:01 MSU Slater (cross-checking)
     18:09 MINN Hendrickson (cross-checking)

Third Period:
 6:34 MINN McHugh (Bonin, Bell);  MSU 2, MINN 2
18:00 MINN McHugh;  MSU 2; MINN 3

Shots:  MSU 6-9-2--17;  MINN 20-13-16--49
Goalies:  MSU Buzak, 60:00, 49 shots, 46 saves;  MINN
     Callinan, 60:00, 17 shots, 15 saves
Power Plays:  MSU 1/3;  MINN 0/4
Referees:  Mike Schmitt, Tom Goddard
Linesman:  Jon Elvy
Attendance (both Friday games):  15,101

Michigan State   0 2 1 - 3
Wisconsin        0 2 0 - 2

First Period:
      1:36 WISC Sanderson (cross-checking)
      3:37 MSU Slater (hooking)
      9:38 MSU Vanstaalduinen (cross-checking)
     13:02 WISC Tompkins (cross-checking)
     15:56 MSU Harlton (interference)
     18:44 WISC Smith (interference)

Second Period:
      2:15 MSU Tuzzolino (interference)
 2:39 WISC S. Carter 6 (Balkovec), pp;  MSU 0, WISC 1
      4:15 WISC Tok (tripping)
      8:38 MSU Clarke (roughing)
     15:25 WISC Balkovec (roughing)
     15:25 MSU Watt (roughing)
     15:35 MSU Sylvester (slashing)
     15:35 WISC Tok (slashing)
15:53 WISC Williams 7 (Rafalski);  MSU 0, WISC 2
16:26 MSU Keyes 5 (Crane);  MSU 1, WISC 2
17:10 MSU A. Carter 13 (Guolla);  MSU 2, WISC 2
     19:13 MSU A. Carter (high-sticking)
     19:45 WISC Tompkins (cross-checking)

Third Period:
 0:56 MSU Sylvester 5;  MSU 3, WISC 2
      5:03 MSU Sylvester (interference)
      9:41 WISC Enrico (interference)
     12:24 MSU Crane (holding)

Shots:  MSU 4-10-7--21;  WISC 5-12-15--32
Goalies:  MSU Alban, 60:00, 32 shots, 30 saves;  WISC
     Daubenspeck, 60:00, 21 shots, 18 saves
Power Plays:  MSU 0/6;  WISC 1/9
Referees:  Chick Yackel, Tom Goddard
Linesman:  Jon Elvy

Michigan         1 2 0 - 3
Minnesota        1 0 3 - 4

First Period:
      5:49 MINN Crowley (high-sticking)
 8:17 MICH Morrison 10 (Knuble);  MICH 1, MINN 0
     10:19 MINN Larson (high-sticking)
     10:19 MICH Frescoln (high-sticking)
11:11 MINN McHugh 9 (Crowley);  MICH 1, MINN 1
     13:57 MICH Knuble (hooking)
     19:15 MICH Willis (cross-checking)

Second Period:
 1:32 MICH Hilton 6;  MICH 2, MINN 1
      3:39 MINN Bell (high-sticking)
      3:39 MICH Sloan (high-sticking)
     10:38 MICH Sinclair (interference)
     13:51 MINN Fiebelkorn (slashing)
     17:04 MINN Crowley (cross-checking)
17:34 MICH Knuble 9 (Legg, Morrison), pp;  MICH 3, MINN 1
     18:46 MICH Schock (interference)

Third Period:
 7:17 MINN Trebil 3 (Woog);  MICH 3, MINN 2
11:31 MINN Kraft 3; MICH 3, MINN 3
     15:48 MINN Godbout (roughing)
     15:48 MICH Gordon (slashing)
16:10 MINN Bonin 11 (Crowley, Callinan);  MICH 3, MINN 4

Shots:  MICH 11-9-5--25;  MINN 16-11-7--34
Goalies:  MICH Turco, 58:50, 34 shots, 30 saves;  MINN
     Callinan, 60:00, 25 shots, 22 saves
Power Plays:  MICH 1/3;  MINN 0/4
Referees:  Greg Shepherd, Mike Schmitt
Linesman:  Jon Campion
Attendance (for two games):  15,078

NOTES:

Since Carol was unable to attend due to illness (I'm sure you can all imagine
how ill Carol'd have to be to miss FOUR hockey games.  :-(  Get well soon,
Carol!)  I'll give a "not-at-all unbiased" weekend report.

**Michigan 7, Wisconsin 2:
Story headline in St. Paul Pioneer Press was:  "Michigan power play sweeps past
Wisconsin"

Wisconsin looked dominant in the first period, but Michigan turned it around in
the second, and penalties did the Badgers in, as Michigan's five-forward power
play went 4/9.  The Badgers pulled their usual trick of letting their
frustration show in some dumb penalties.  The Badgers ended this game (and spent
the MSU game Saturday) Strobel-less.  Captain Mark was out due to injury, and
twin brother Mike was DQ'ed in an altercation with Luhning in the third period.

**Minnesota 3, Michigan State 2:
Story headline was: "McHugh's three goals rally U to victory, and WCHA to split"

It was a lot easier to type in this box score!  (very few penalties, and MSU's
Vanstaalduinen didn't get his name into it...)  Note the 49-17 shot discrepancy.
The Gophers really had the best of the play, but Buzak was making some good
saves, the Gophers were making some mediocre shots, and Callinan gave the
Spartans a gift on their second goal, when he came way out of the net to play a
loose puck, and then couldn't get it past Carter, who popped it in for the
unassisted goal.  (We were reminded of our plan to buy a bungee cord and attach
one end to Callinan and the other to the net to keep him from straying too
far...) The Gophers managed another one of their now-famous third-period
comebacks as senior wing Justin McHugh accounted for all Gopher scoring by
completing the hat trick.  The Gophers outshot MSU 16-2 in the third, with both
of MSU's shots coming in the first few minutes before McHugh tied up the game.
The 5-on-5 play of the first line (McHugh's line) had been a concern, but all 3
of these goals were 5-on-5, and, indeed, the power play was shut out.

**Michigan State 3, Wisconsin 2:
Story Headline was: "Spartans' transfer beats Badgers"

The first period of this one was BOOO-RING.  The shots were 5-4 and the play
just seemed sluggish.  Maybe both teams were having a tough time shaking off the
losses of Friday night.  Or maybe they just needed to take the game over to the
more spacious Mariucci Arena rink.  Wisconsin's first goal (in the second
period) was on the power play, but the four other goals in this game were all
scored 4-on-4.  Maybe the extra available room got things going.  We were also
wondering if the Spartans have an aversion to shooting.  Michigan State managed
just 38 shots on the weekend, fewer than they allowed Minnesota in a single game
(49).  Dean Sylvester, a transfer from Kent, got the winning goal.

**Minnesota 4, Michigan 3:
Story headline was:  "Gophers showcase their ability to rally"

The Gophers quickly found themselves in a bad spot in this one, as second-line
left wing Nick Checco injured his shoulder on his first shift and Michigan
scored first (as the Gophers' opponents have in 10 of their 12 games).  Justin
McHugh scored his fourth goal of the weekend to tie it at 1.  Unfortunately, he
left the game early in the second with an injury (sprained knee, apparently).
That left the Gophers without their first AND second line left wings (and heaven
knows November 1994 has been tough on left-wingers ;-) )  Michigan's second goal
came off a scramble in which the puck was pushed into the net off a Gopher
defenseman, but the goal light didn't come on until much later when the net had
been pushed off its moorings and the puck THEN crossed the goal-line again.
This accounted for the booing from fans (like me) who'd lost sight of the puck
when it originally went into the net and breathed a sigh of relief when the goal
light didn't come on, only to see it come on long after the net was very
obviously knocked off its moorings.  (I haven't watched the tape yet, but I
believe my sources that tell me this is what happened.)  This is part of the
reason for Katie's impression that the crowd was displeased with the
officiating.  The REAL complaint about the officiating came later...  Minnesota
looked a little out of it at that point, with the lines completely disorganized
(4th-liner Jesse Bertogliat, for example, who'd played in only a couple games
this year and had no points, was filling in on the first line), and all their
scoring (McHugh had scored all 4 of their goals) for the weekend sitting in the
training room, and Michigan made its lead 3-1 on the power near the end of the
second.  Michigan's size and skill seemed too much for the Gophers to overcome.

But in the third period the come-back kids struck again.  Even though they had
only 10 forwards left to skate, the games/workouts on Mariucci's Olympic-sized
ice (or something!!) must have them in better condition than their opponents, as
they've outscored opponents 26-2 in the third period.  (Of course, they've had
to do this, as they've been behind entering the third in 8 of 12 games...)  The
Gophers apparently decided that some of them besides McHugh COULD score, as
defenseman Dan Trebil shot one in from the point and ignited the crowd.  Then
Woog put 4 freshmen (Kraft, Pankratz, Hankinson and Crowley) on the ice (along
with Trebil) for a faceoff which Kraft won and shot past Turco to tie the game.
Brian Bonin scored the game-winner with 3:50 to go, and the last few minutes got
pretty tense as Michigan pulled their goalie to try and tie it up.  With about
50 seconds to go (I think) Michigan brought the puck into the Minnesota zone
GROSSLY offside.  15,000 of the 15,087 present could see that, but unfortunately
3 of those other 87 were the guys in striped shirts whose attention was turned
elsewhere.  Fortunately, nothing came of that rush and the Gophers were able to
hold off the Wolverines as the clock wound down.

**Hockey-l Social notes:
(No headline in the paper, sorry.)

It was a fun weekend with some pretty high-level hockey, including three
one-goal games.  It was great seeing Hockey-l's Glen Keeney and John Haeussler.
I hope they both managed to get out of town before the snow hit late this
morning!

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
Go White Bear Lake Bears!!!              Ski-U-Mah!!!

Minnesota hats off to thee!  To your colors true we shall ever be.
Firm and strong united are we.  Rah! Rah! Rah! for Ski-U-Mah.
Rah!  Rah!  Rah!  Rah!  Rah! for the U of M.