I must admit that I thought Bob Gilreath was jesting when he noted
that double Dutch jump-roping competition was on ESPN ... but then
I read the Wall Street Journal article (page B-1, November 1),
entitled "Loss of Baseball, Hockey Curbs Gains at ESPN."

The article indicates that the network is " ... going to the dogs ..."
The networks (ESPN and ESPN2) are scrambling for replacement programming
and resorting to shows like "Super Dogs, Super Jocks" --- a program with
frisbee-fetching canines --- to try and satisfy its fans and the
advertising community.
Other replacement fare is reported to have included the double Dutch
jump-roping, roller hockey, and "classic" games.  Future plans include
gavel to gavel coverage of the O.J. Simpson trial on ESPN2, while ESPN
is reported to be planning live interruptions when there is noteworthy
testimony.

The article continues its discussion of substiture fare by noting
that more college football, college hockey, and boxing would be
quite appealing to sports fans.  A media representative who purchases
air time for advertisers said that the current replacement programming
"... isn't exciting ..."  Yet, it seems that the big advertisers have
not retrenched a single iota from their advertising plans.  A spokesman
for one major beverage concern is reported to have said, "We're willing
to sit patiently until hockey begins."

Surprisingly ESPN finds itself with higher ratings than this time
last year.  They suspect the ratings to be associated with the fact
that collegiate football is benefiting from the absence of hockey
and the World Series.

ESPN officials have been concerned that the delay in the hockey season
is causing viewers to lose interest in "SportsCenter."  Keith Oberman
(ESPN on-air anchor) is reported to have said (about viewers), "They
don't want to hear the latest hockey gossip without being able to
watch the latest hockey highlights."
John Wildhack, ESPN's senior vice president of programming stated,
"We were optimistic we would see huge ratings increases for hockey"
because of the exciting conclusion to last year's Stanley Cup.  He adds
"The sooner the NHL is back, the better for us."

Go figure?  If college football has brought about the current increase
in viewership and ESPN is anxiously awaiting the NHL's return ... why
not explore the realm of collegiate hockey?

James Bradshaw