Headline: Eight straight and counting. . .
Publish Date: 10/31/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Wisconsin hockey coach Jeff Sauer was upbeat Thursday night when his
3-0 Badgers arrived in Minneapolis for a warm-up skate.

A weekend sweep of Denver at home sent the team's confidence on an
upward slope.

That trajectory, however, plunged this weekend as the Gophers sent
Wisconsin reeling Friday night with a 2-1 overtime victory on Justin
McHugh's goal 47 seconds into the period.

Minnesota followed that with a 5-2 stomping Saturday night at Target
Center to complete the series sweep. The Gophers extended their
winning streak to eight games over their rival Badgers.

Sauer said Friday's loss took its toll on the Badgers' attitude, the
result being a poor effort on Saturday.

``We just didn't have the mental toughness,'' Sauer said. ``We didn't
have the jump tonight, and we didn't feel right all night. You could
see that we lost the twinkle at breakfast this morning.''

It was the exact opposite for the Gophers.

They carried the momentum from their overtime win into Saturday's
game and were able to dictate every facet of the contest.

Andy Brink, Dave Larson and Scott Bell all found the net for the
first time this year on Saturday.

``It wasn't a particularly classy game,'' Gophers coach Doug Woog
said. ``We've got some guys who can handle the puck and make good
decisions, so we can do it in different ways. We executed on the
power play tonight.''

Wisconsin wing Mike Strobel admitted the Gophers' dominance.

``Minnesota beat us in every aspect of the game,'' Strobel said.
``They outhit us, they outskated us and they converted on the power
play.''

The Gophers have converted 39 percent of their power play
opportunities. Before they gave up a power play goal with 2:24 left
in Saturday's game, they had killed 26 straight penalties since the
start of the season.

That is a big reason why they are 4-0 this season compared to last
season's 0-5-1 start.

Gophers players were content with their effort this weekend but
expressed displeasure with certain parts of their game.

``We really know what's going on out there,'' Gophers center Brian
Bonin said. ``I'm happy with the way things are going right now, but
(the power play units) didn't click as well as it looked. We did some
things wrong as well.''

Gophers center Dan Woog said part of the team's success lies in the
team's camaraderie.

``It starts with the seniors' being down to Earth and not thinking
that they are above everyone else,'' Woog said. ``Everyone cares
about each other and is eager to get out there and play.''

Woog has scored twice this year, including a blast from the right
circle to the top of the left corner of the net Saturday night. Last
year he didn't score a goal in the first 30 games.

The Gophers used a swarming defense and an explosive offense to
outlast the Badgers on Friday.

Although Minnesota didn't score until third period, they totalled 43
shots on goal.

Wisconsin goaltender Kirk Daubenspeck and Gophers goalie Jeff
Callinan were responsible for keeping their teams close.

``I've always got something to prove,'' Daubenspeck said. ``But I
don't feel like I stood on my head or that I was on fire.''

The Gophers players were inspired by the play of senior co-captain
McHugh, who lead the team in hustle.

``McHugh was all over the rink hitting guys, digging pucks out of the
corners and flying,'' Woog said. ``I thought it was an `A' game for
him.''

McHugh assisted on the tying goal and scored the game winner in
overtime.

After the game, Woog said he had a good time pacing the bench behind
the players at Mariucci Arena and watching his team playing smart.

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!