Reed H Munson writes:
>Maybe this sounds dumb, but perhaps if the announcer guy announced at the
>beginning of the game that throwing objects out onto the ice can endanger
>the safety of the players people wouldn't throw stuff on the ice.

It's not a dumb idea, but it's not going to work every place either.
Merrimack is trying to deal with a problem where some students throw
stuff on the ice even after the announcement is made - and the
announcement includes a warning that more stuff being thrown will
result in a penalty against the home team.  This has drawn the
Warriors several delay of game penalties at home games the last two
seasons, including three in one game against BU last year.  The next
home game is tomorrow night vs Northeastern, and we will see if the
administration is successful in curbing this.  Clearly there are some
people for whom the threat of a penalty against their team isn't a
deterrent...this is why the administration has to step in and take
charge.

To this extent, I would suggest that even many of the students who did
not throw anything a second or third time were still guilty...against
Lowell Tuesday night, they vociferously booed the removal of four
students who were supposed to have thrown many of the items.  I think
that BU fans would boo one of their own who dared to do something that
might jeopardize the team's success.  This is why I say that Merrimack
fans could learn something from the other fans in HE and DivI.

Last year after the BU incident which involved tennis balls, security
started checking people for tennis balls as they came in.  This year
the items of choice are fruit and bagels.  I don't know if security
will be checking for these too, but it did sound as if there would be
an increased presence of authority around the student section for the
next game.