In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Mike Sprung) writes:
|>         The off-season was filled with rumors of RPI's intention to move
|> to Hockey East.  Two of the top reasons for this were: (1) Wider and more
|> frequent television coverage, and (2) Lower academic requirements for signing
|> new players than those for the ECAC.  Can anyone tell me why this move was not
|> made?  It would seem that such an action could only better the program, but
|> I probably don't have all the facts (as usual!). Thanks.

I talked briefly with Institute president R. Byron Pipes about this, and his
response was to the effect that the ECAC kissed RPI's ass so that they would
stay.  The threatened move to HE was more to gain recognition and become a
true force than a true intention to abandon the ECAC.  Pipes' main point of
contention was that the Ivy League schools get all the recognition within the
ECAC, and I guess the league powers assuaged his fears about this.  He also
complained about the fact that the school is always referred to as RPI in the
league scheduling and publicity, while the other schools are Harvard, Brown,
Clarkson, Vermont, etc.  His point was that it should either be HU, BU, CU, VU,
RPI, etc. or the full names and Rensselaer.
I also think that Buddy Powers was the largest proponent of the move to Hockey
East, and once he left, the feeling was more to use the strength of the school
to gain more recognition for the ECAC rather than jumping.

--
  Greg E. Lucas  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute '94  [log in to unmask]
                "I'm wired on indignation" - GN'F'nR's!