On Fri, 30 Sep 1994, Chris Paine wrote:

>    As for the Ferris-MSU thing, I attended State for 7 years and couldn't
> figure out why Ferris wins more than their share of those matchups.  Some
> teams just do well against certain other teams-- it happens all the time.
> I don't think it's because State doesn't take Ferris seriously enough (how
> could they not?).  Maybe it's physical play, but State has done as well as
> almost anyone against the Lakers (and they're tough too) and still doesn't
> perform well against the Bulldogs now that they have more size than they
> did a few years back.  I only wish Ferris had the same effect on Michigan.
>
> --Chris Paine
> MSU '90, '93, UK ???

I am a Ferris State alumna, having been a trainer for FSU's hockey team,
among other teams.  I agree with your stupor over the Ferris-MSU
mystery.  We always would beat MSU, especially at home, even if State was
ranked high!  I don't know why. It felt good, of course, to beat State.
But then we would turn around and get crushed by other teams that State
had previously crushed.  It isn't logical, but I think it's just the
chemistry between Ferris and State.  The players on both teams are
friends, even if the game is rough, which it inevitably is!  I wish
Ferris could beat Michigan too--but I think they are way too scared of
Michigan maybe?  The Michigan fans are ruthless!  Every time there is a
penalty against the opposing team, as you probably well know, the fans
yell "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa...." until the penalized player gets in the box, at
which time the Wolverine fans yell, "SEE YA!!" It's funny when our
players would stand at the doorway to the box, waiting until the last
possible moment, making the fans turn blue in the face while they're
screaming, "aaaaaaa...."  I love that part! :)  But I have to admit,
while I am a devout Ferris hockey fan, I went to Michigan for a semester,
and as long as Michigan isn't playing Ferris in hockey--I'm Maize and
Blue all the way!! :)

Tari Texter
Ferris State University 93
Grand Valley State University ??