In article <[log in to unmask]>,
 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Last season Mike had 20 goals and 19 assists in 33 games, and wasUM's
>leading scorer.  Mike looked very confused and disappointed when he was
>interviewed by WCSH yesterday.  He said that he didn't know what he could
>do now, because it is too late to try to catch on with a pro team in
>Europe or here in the states.  I believe Mike is a scholarship athlete,
>which means he'll have to give back the money, and still be left holding
>the bill for this semester, and since it is now mid-October, has no chance
>at getting a dime in financial aid.  I feel badly for Mike because he
>definitely deserved better than this.

I don't know how it works at Maine, but at RPI the student-athlete
is guaranteed the scholarship as long as he is at the school. If
the player gets hurt, or doesn't make the team, he still gets
the four year ride as promised. I wouldn't think that Mike would
have to pay back this semester's scholarship, since it can't be
used by anyone else this semester anyway.

Ralph