>RPI has an 8-7-2 record in these games, not all that great a winning
>percentage at home.

I have always wondered in fact what was the impetus for the Freakout.  If in
fact it was established as a "fun" weekend for the students--that's great.
Everyone looks forward to going to the Fieldhouse to see if this year's version
can exceed last year's in sheer volume.  It also rates very high in the
tradition department.

But as a home ice advantage, I think it falls very short.  In fact I think
the atmosphere nearly neutralizes the Engineer home ice advantage.  It seems
that the noise is either constant, whether RPI is in control of the puck or
not, or it is quiet.  I can't speak for the players, and would welcome their
opinion, but I wonder whether it really psychs them into playing any better.
As their record reflects, the Engineers have played some pretty luckluster
games on Freakout night, with 1994's version symptomatic.  Perhaps the other
team receives a psychological boost in playing in such a hostile environment,
an "us against them" thing.

But regardless, I don't understand the supposed dislike that some opposing
teams have for playing the Freakout game--I have heard grumblings from teams
like Brown, Clarkson and of course Harvard, who I don't believe has ever played
in a Freakout.  Not that Engineer fans need any additional emotional boost for
that match-up!  And the ban against certain types of noisemakers also seems
dumb, unless it is rooted in a concern for the health and welfare of those in
attendance.  I mean if you were an opposing coach, would you be afraid of
playing RPI because their fans were clanging on cow bells?

Just the mutterings of a bemused and desperately hockey-deprived junkie waiting
for the puck to drop.
                     _
             "NYS   // Hockey"
         Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
           Go RPI //      Albany, NY
          (______/

The above opinions are those of the poster alone, with no representation
that they have any value whatsoever, or that the content will prove
interesting to anyone currently living, or otherwise.