WCHA notes from The Minnesota Daily (student newspaper of
the University of Minnesota).  Note:  Fans of Minnesota
hockey can find information on the Gophers all season long
by reading the Daily via the internet.  Point your gopher
client to gopher.tc.umn.edu.

-- Erik

<<quoted article follows>>

Headline: Surprise, surprise: Huskies ranked No. 1
Publish Date: 10/05/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

The Grand Forks Herald published the 24th Annual Preseason
Western Collegiate Hockey Association poll this weekend, and it came
accompanied by the year's first surprise.

WCHA coaches ranked St. Cloud State No. 1, followed by
Minnesota and last year's champion, Colorado College.

``It's a little bit of a surprise that we were voted in the No. 1
position,'' St. Cloud State coach Craig Dahl said. ``We do return
eight players that scored 10 or more goals, so we've got a lot of
depth.

``But it doesn't make any difference where they pick you at the
beginning of the year. You still have to play the game.''

Dahl admitted he thought the Gophers would be top-ranked, with
his team coming in second or third.<%0>

WCHA hockey will be slightly different this year as several
changes -- with the purpose of adding excitement to the league -- are
in place.

Bruce McLeod, the new WCHA commissioner, announced Tuesday he has
begun talks with ESPN about possibly airing W>CHA games to
supplement the network's National Hockey League broadcasts. The NHL
postponed its season at least two weeks.

Several coaches and WCHA officials predict a players' strike. If
professional hockey halts, the WCHA will likely receive much-needed
publicity.

Greg Shepherd, the new supervisor of officials, announced that
holding, interference and checking-from-behind penalties will be
enforced more often this year.

The NCAA also requested harsher consequences for players who engage
in fights. The current rule is that one punch constitutes a fight,
but the controversy lies in what is considered a punch.

That call is up to officials, but guidelines indicate the player must
attempt to injure with his fist. Any player involved in a fight will
be disqualified from that game plus an additional contest.

Shepherd said the rule changes are an attempt to speed up the
game.

In other WCHA news, Denver and North Dakota hired new
coaches.

George Gwozdecky will take over a Denver team that lost 10 games
by a one-goal margin last year.

He said Denver returns an experienced team and is hesitant to make
any changes before seeing more of the team in action.

Dean Blais is taking the helm at North Dakota in place of Gino
Gasparini.

The Fighting Sioux have a rebuilding year in store. They lost a
handful of seniors, but WCHA coaches predict Landon Wilson will
garner league MVP honors.

Gophers outlook

Minnesota coach Doug Woog said his team's speed and mobility should
counter its lack of size.

However, Woog's team hit the weights hard over the summer and put on
some pounds.

Junior defensemen Greg Zwakman, Dan Trebil and Charlie Wasley worked
with Gophers trainer Chris Hartman this summer.

Trebil, who was 6-feet-3-inches and 200 pounds last year, gained 15
pounds. Wasley added 30 extra pounds to his 6-foot-1-inch frame.

In addition to size, another preseason concern is Minnesota's ability
to play physical hockey.

The loss of last year's captain Chris McAlpine created a hole
for the Gophers in that category, but the team did everything
possible in the off-season to combat the problem.

The question is whether the Gophers can maintain their speed and
quickness with the added bulk.

The Gophers arguably have the best incoming class in the WCHA.

Mike Crowley was named WCHA preseason rookie of the year, and
Ryan Kraft and Jason Godbout received considerable praise.

``We think (the first-year students) are going to be a factor,'' Woog
said. ``We would anticipate that they would be on power plays.

``Maybe that doesn't say enough, but we think they have the
skill factor. It will just be an experience issue and maybe a
physical strength issue.''

Crowley is a graduate of perennial hockey power Bloomington Jefferson
and figures heavily into Minnesota's plans.

``I don't think it's any secret that Mike Crowley has enormous
offensive abilities,'' Woog said.

The Gophers also added Mike Guentzel, a new assistant coach.

Guentzel replaced former assistant Mark Mazzoleni, who accepted
a head coaching job at Miami (Ohio).

<<end of quoted article>>