Overall, I think Hockey East is handling shootouts the best way
stastistics-wise.

EXCEPT in the way that it is being reported. In our paper, the score
was reported as "Northeastern 5, Maine 4, shootout", so I assume this
is how the score was reported to AP and/or WMPL from the arena.

*But*, the game is considered a tie by the NCAA, it is being registered
as a tie in the overall record, AND it is being recorded as a tie in
the league standings. SO WHY ISN'T THE SCORE BEING REPORTED AS A TIE TO
THE PRESS???

The final result *should* be be shown as "Northeastern 4, Maine 4 OT
(Northeastern wins shootout for extra league point)" since the only
thing the shootout determines is who gets two points in the league
standings. (The extra verbage about a league point is necessary to
explain what the purpose of the shootout is in the first place.)

Maybe this is really how the league wants the shootout results to be
reported.  Perhaps the folks at NU messed up. Or maybe AP or WMPL or my
paper messed up. But the league should NOT be telling people to give
the shootout winner an extra goal. This ain't the IHL, so don't use
their crazy methods.

The game was a tie; it should be reported as such.

Keith