I would hope that if the strike/lockout/extended golf season goes into
the college season, then ESPN or The Deuce would give some coverage to
college hockey along with the minors.  That would be very nice.

However, I believe it is best to take the attitude that Tim Burton of
HE has.  Tim is HE Director of Marketing and Media Relations.  Last
week we were discussing what was then a possible work stoppage in the
NHL and whether it might mean more HE games on NESN (or anyplace
else).  I guess Tim was receiving some calls from media asking if HE
was hoping for a lockout so that they'd get more air time.

Tim says that of course, if air time is available, the league will
seek to increase its exposure and would not have a problem filling in
for the NHL.  However, and I agreed with him, it's certainly not a
case of HE being overjoyed at an NHL lockout.  In the grand scheme of
things, the lockout hurts the sport, and any short term gains in
exposure are going to remain just that.  One of the reasons college
hockey has grown recently is that there has been a similar increase of
interest in the NHL in the US.

So in looking at the big picture, HE does not hope that the lockout
lasts long enough so they can get some of their games on ESPN.  But if
this does happen, they will take advantage of any opportunity to
increase their exposure, as they should.  I think HE's stand is
understandable and the right one.  Although some of us may prefer
college hockey to pro, there are also many who enjoy pro (and I am one
of them, as long as I am not paying $50 for a ticket; tv suits me fine
there).  As well, remember where a good percentage of pro players come
from - college.

If the NHL's problems get solved quickly and in a reasonable manner,
the good PR will trickle down to college, I am confident.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>