My perspective as Head Coach of a Division III Hockey Team regarding last names
on jerseys.
One, I have never once worried about having the last name of a player appear on
his(her) away jersey because  they may be harassed and heckled by the opposing
crowd.  That, to me is ridiculous.  Being heckled is part of being a public
figure, especially in sports.  So, the opposing fans heckle my team. They know
its going to happen.  To answer the question, that is not a consideration for
putting names on jerseys.
Second, cost is not a problem. If you do reserach you will find someone out
there willing to number and name your jerseys at minimal costs.  I had all my
jerseys named and numbered.  All this from a first year team that started with
$300 - that's right $300.  So, to all those teams out there with tens of
thousands of dollars in funds, I see no reason why you can't name and
number...unless of course, you just don't want to.  But, again, to answr the
question, no cost was not a concern.
tcrum