First, I want to say how great it is to have CCHA Dir of Comm
Jeff Weiss on board.  The CCHA boxscores, team notes, etc.
are really appreciated.

A few notes from the Colorado College at Michigan series:

  Michigan All-America candidate Mike Knuble did not play in
  either contest.  Knuble suffered from an irregular heartbeat
  following a check vs York on Oct 14.  He was originally cleared
  to play against CC, but was a very late scratch.  He has been
  diagnosed as having a form of chest infection, unrelated [?] to
  the heart condition, and will be sidelined for 3-4 more weeks.
  Mike is chomping at the bit to get back on the ice.

  Michigan donned their special occasion yellow jerseys for
  Saturday's game.  It was a big win for the Wolverines, who
  looked like they had won a national championship following
  Jason Botterill's last second goal.

  Detroit Red Wing coach Scotty Bowman and Boston Bruin
  forward Cam Stewart were among the notables in attendance
  for both games.  Stewart was appropriately wearing an NHLPA
  hat.  The Red Wing television duo of Dave Strader and Mickey
  Redmond [channel 50] were in the box calling the game both
  nights.  I'm not sure who was picking up the Strader-Redmond
  broadcast, but I think PASS carried both games on tape-delay.

  Another side effect of the NHL lockout is the increased marketing
  of the college games by Joe Louis Arena.  Yes, they've been
  marketed in the past...but I've never received as much literature
  as I have this season, urging me to buy and 8-game season ticket
  [four GLI games, Michigan vs Michigan State, two CCHA semifinals,
  CCHA championship] for $60.

  Finally, from Dan Gretzner's CC article which appeared in Friday's
  ANN ARBOR NEWS:

      In the early 1970s, fans began to litter the ice with rubber chickens
    after key goals.
      According to Ted Lindeman, a 1973 CC graduate, one fan known
    as the "Chicken Man" attached a nylon line to the speeding pullet
    and reeled it back for repeated tosses.
      After most of two seasons, this particular chicken's career was cut
    short by U-M goalie Robbie Moore, who sawed through the line
    with his skate blade, then wrist-shot the bird into the press box.
    Denver fans, in 1979, released a crate of live rats, creating a rodent
    rodeo on the ice.  [end quoted material]

In other notes, former LSSU Laker Brian Rolston was called up from
Albany by the New Jersey Devils because the Devils didn't want to
pay his one-way salary of approximately $250,000.  [Wonder why?]
At the end of last week, Rolston came to terms on an AHL contract
and is once again in Albany with the River Rats.  [Some money is
better than no money.]

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan