Robb Dunn writes:

> department, does that violate NCAA rules?  Ice isn't exactly cheap, so i
> don't expect the players to be able to scrape together their beer money
> to cover the cost.

        This is interesting to me because this past weekend Lynah Rink
held its annual "icetime rental."  Lynah charges $88 per hour this year
(an increase of 10% over last year) for the "general public" (which
includes us on-campus skaters).  I heard from a friend involved with
the local youth hockey program that the ice price for them was $76 per
hour; I assumed then that the ice is rented on a "sliding scale," which
I would imagine favors the university's teams (if they do indeed have
to pay for it).

        There's a lot of variation in icetime rates from school to school.
I ran into Casey Jones's wife yesterday (Casey is an assistant coach at
Clarkson these days) and she told me that the ce at Clarkson's brand new
Cheel arena rented for $45 per hour.  I'm not sure whether that's the price
for the general public or the price for the Golden Knights.

                                                Dave Delchamps
                                                Cornell University
                                                Let's Go Red !!