In response to fellow RPI alum Ralph Baer, a bit more ancient history on the 2nd intermission at what we use to call the RPI Field House.  I remember the alma mater being played at every second intermission.  It was usually just before the puck was being readied for dropping, and was decently classy I thought. Don't remember other alma maters played by the RPI band, and a I recall very few bands following their teams into the Field House.

An interesting note in those days RPI used to be lucky to field three lines and two sets of defensemen.  In addition they were rarely known for overall team speed.  However in my four years there, 1960-64, I believe they went to the NCAAs twice and had winning seasons each year (at that time 20 games a season was fairly standard).  We had a coach named Ned Harkness who some of you may remember.  It was rumored that he would reduce the refrigeration to make the ice slower, bring the other team down to RPI speed.  It was also suggested that the playing of the alma mater was timed to stretch out the second intermission so the team could get some added rest, and pull themselves off the boards they were hanging on.  We used to wonder, in some fast paced games, if the band might try to play the alma mater two or three times, but it never did!!  Harkness was obviously a clever coach who used psychology whenever possible in his usually outmanned situations.  One time I recall a ten minute time to find a contact lens
 for the RPI goalie.  My room-mate knew him and laughed his head off, because it turned out that the goalie had perfect eyesight!  This incident occurred, not surprisingly, in the middle of the 3rd period.  Score another one for Harkness.  No wonder we were all sad to see him leave for Cornell!!

Tony Buffa
RPI '64, Univ of Illinois (C-U) '66 and '69
Professor of Physics
Calif Poly State University (no we don't have a hockey team, but we have the former asst AD from BC I believe!)

Go Engineers!!