>>What I always hear at Brown is that the the financial aid offices at
>Ivy League universities do not give preferential treatment to students
>on the basis of either athletic or scholarly ability. In other words,
>financial need is the only criterion. Nevertheless, since I've never
>worked in the financial aid office of any of these universities, I
>can't be sure. If someone has information (i.e., facts, not impressions)
>to the contrary, I'd like to know.
>
>I believe this is a valid topic of discussion for hockey-l.
>
>Luiz F. Valente

I have worked closely with the Financial Aid Office at Cornell (as project
leader in charge of maintenance and enhancement of their information
management systems for 6 1/2 years). Luiz is correct when he says that
financial need is the only criterion on which financial aid is awarded at
Ivy League institutions. The calculation of that need is standard across
all students. The creation of an aid package to meet that need, however,
can vary for categories of students, as Diane Munzer Fisher said. When I
was in charge of the systems (1983-1990), each student was assigned to one
of a number of "packaging categories". Aid packages for students in the
more-favored categories contained more grant aid (usually
institutionally-based) and less loan and work-study aid (usually federally-
or state-based). Aid packages for students in the less-favored categories
received less grant aid and more loan and work-study aid (euphemistically
called "self-help" here at Cornell). I can't speak to whether this method
is still in place.

The details of what constitutes each type of aid, the criteria used to
classify students in each category, and how financial need is calculated in
the first place are beyond the scope of this list. The rules for
calculating need, for example, are explained in a book published by the
College Scholarship Service that runs into the hundreds of pages, and
includes policies that each institution can vary as it sees fit at every
step of the way.

Arthur C. Mintz          [log in to unmask]          (607) 255-1487
Senior Project Leader
Cornell Information Technologies / Information Resources

"Never confuse motion with progress."