Dave Kaufman writes:
>This is really impressive.  I'm glad Joey is smart enough to know that an NHL
>career most likely won't even last 10 years. Sure, he's set for life with this
>multi-year, multi-million dollar contract, but what about the 30-odd years after
>the NHL?  If all he ever wanted to do was play hockey he would have been a
>management major like 95% of the other hockey players at RPI, or he would have
>gone to juniors for his seasoning. Instead, he chose what a lot of people feel
>is the toughest major at RPI: aeronautical engineering (not that electrical was
>a piece of cake! :-) ), and got a masters to boot!  It's good to see he still
>enjoys the field and is trying to keep his skills up.

Just a quick thought - I am sure it wasn't intended to sound this way,
but I could almost hear all the management majors out there growling
at this. :-)

I don't think it's that unusual for a majority of any team's players
to be mgmt/business majors, when an examination of the college majors
across the country would likely show that most students do major in
those areas.  It is, I agree, unusual for a hockey player to excel
both in hockey and in an area like engineering, and that's what Juneau
should be commended for.  I feel the same way about any player who
chooses mgmt for a major and excels in that, though.

Just as examples, RPI asst Steve Duncan graduated with both a BS in
mgmt and an MBA from RPI while tending the nets for the Engineers, and
that's an accomplishment he can be proud of.  I saw firsthand as
Dunc's roommate the amount of effort he put in to reach those goals.
And a good friend of mine, Dean Borrelli (Dunc's HS teammate), left
college early to turn pro in baseball but returned to school in the
fall for a few years to complete his marketing degree, which he has
put to use in the offseason the last few years.  The key is that
people like Dean, Dunc, and Juneau have all put themselves in a
position that is all too rare among athletes: that is, they have an
area they can fall back on if their sport doesn't allow them to make
enough money to live luxuriously.  Of course, Juneau has achieved that
now, but I think my other two examples deserve at least as much praise
even if they did not happen to choose engineering as their majors.  I
might know more about CS than they do, but their business and
marketing capabilities far outweigh mine. :-)
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>