Howard Quimby ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
:         As for playing in Maine, that's a little different.  Given the Maine/
: UNH rivalry it seems awkward to be in Portland.  Don't get me wrong--home
games
: are home games no matter where they are played. But  I'm curious as to what
the
: Maine population will think about all these UNH fans roaming the streets.  I
: know how I feel when they come to UNH.  Do they feel the same way or is my
: particluar dislike for Maine a special case?  (Pre-season jab, no flames
please)
: It will be different.

There really are some (3 or 4?) of us in Maine that like to watch Hockey
for hockey's sake. Granted, when Maine squares off against UNH most of us
will be on the Maine side, but remove the Maine team from the mix and, I
think, things could change a lot.

I grew up in southern Maine and you must remember that UNH is much closer
to most of those folks than Orono is (Portland is 2.5 - 3 hours from
Orono, 1+ from Durham). As a youngster I felt much more connection with
UNH than I did with UMaine.

Now, BU might be a different story... ;-)
--
John Grover                             "When you pray for rain,"
Computing Center                        "you got to deal with the mud."