Actually, it was a $110K signing bonus.
From the MN Daily, Monday August 8, 1994

(quoted)
"U's Dziedzic now a Penguin

Joe Dziedzic, whose career as a Gopher had its ups and downs, is now a
member of the National Hockey League.

Dziedzic joined the professional ranks last Thursday when he signed a
three year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I'm glad it's over; it's a load off my mind," Dziedzic said of the back
and forth contract negotiations between his agent, former Minnesota
North Star Brian Lawton and Craig Patrick, general manager of the
Penguins

Dziedzic said that Lawton finalized the deal on Wednesday and called him
to sign the contract on Thursday.

Dziedzic's salary is based on two different situations.  If he makes the
Penguins, he will earn $200,000 his first year, followed by raises
the next two years.  If he doesn't make the team and goes to the minors
he is guaranteed $60,000.

Dziedzic said that if he is called up during the year he will have his
salary prorated depending on how many games he plays......"

The story goes on, but that is the main info.  Joe broke his arm
twice, but played wonderfully in the 18 games he was able to play.

I find it rather ironic that Scud would have mentioned the fact that
Joe signed.  Only a year and a half ago he was practically accusing
Joe's sister Kari of causing the North Stars to move from MN.  Kari
filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against North Stars owner Norm
Greed, which, some say, prompted Greed to pick up the team and move
to a state where they don't settle sexual harassment lawsuits in
court, they take you out back and shoot you.  Anyway, I think Scud is
doing some major butt-kissing to the Dziedzic family.

Enough of my opinion.

Katie
Go Gophers!