Jen Bortz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The ACHA is the governing body for member club hockey programs. Division I
>follows all NCAA regulations about eligibility, academics, etc. Division II
>is a little more free-form.

Hmmm...not exactly.  Both D1 and D2 use the current NCAA Men's Ice
Hockey Rules to govern games.  Some leagues within ACHA modify these
rules to suit their particular situation (e.g. CSCHL-II plays 18 min.
periods).

Academic requirements are a whole different ball of wax.  There was
contentious debate at the last ACHA National meeting concerning pro-
posed requirements in the (also proposed) ACHA Policy and Procedure
Manual.  The debate centered around a GPA requirement; 1.7 for fresh-
men, 1.8 for sophomores, and 2.0 for Juniors & Seniors.  After much
discussion, including a stressing of the fact that the ACHA does not
want to become a bureaucratic nightmare like the NC$$, the requirement
was defeated.

That's not to say that ACHA rules don't parallel NC$$ sometimes.  The
ACHA follows the NCAA 5 year/10 semester rule and most credit hour
rules in D1, with D2 rules set at 1/2 of those standards.

I'm not trying to be picky here, just wanted people to know that the
point of the ACHA is to allow a more non-restrictive atmosphere for
ice hockey to flourish in our colleges and universities.