Anthony Frolik writes:
>Mike Machnik writes:
>>had a stronger schedule and performed better against it
>>proportionally, but that CC benefited from a weaker conference
>>schedule than some of its opponents (Minnesota) which allowed it to
>>capture the conference title.
>
>I would like to know how CC had a weaker conference schedule than Minnesota.
>Take out head to head games and they should have had the same strength of
>schedule in the conference.

Well, minus the pair of head to head games, CC played UMD twice and
everybody else 4x.  Minnesota played MTU twice and everybody else 4x.
So the difference is as follows (WCHA reg season only):

CC: UMD 2x, MTU 4x
Minn: UMD 4x, MTU 2x

First, it is certainly interesting to note that if you consider just
these games, since after throwing out the CC-Minn head-to-head
matchups all else is equal in terms of numbers of games vs each other
WCHA opp, then here are the records:

CC: vs UMD (both road) 1-1-0, vs MTU 2-0-2.  TOT 3-1-2 = 8 pts
Minn: vs UMD 2-1-1, vs MTU (both home) 2-0-0.  TOT 4-1-1 = 9 pts

So in that group of games, Minnesota comes out ahead a point, yet CC
won the reg season title by one point.  Doesn't seem to have made a
difference yet.

But, Minnesota also had to play its two games vs CC on the road while
CC got to host Minnesota twice and did not have to play at the Gophers
because of the way the schedule worked out.  CC won both games (+4 pts)
and won the title by one point.

BTW, that's a separate issue from whether the unbalanced WCHA reg
season schedule in and of itself played a big part in CC being
ranked 13th in the RPI.  Of course, I say it did.  RPI doesn't care
about site of a game, so that is irrelevant here.  UMD had a win% of
.4079 and MTU's was .3444.  But CC played the weaker of the two teams
4x to Minnesota's twice, and Minnesota played the stronger of the two
teams 4x to CC's twice.  Win% gets counted once in OppWin% for each
time you play an opponent.  And, while 2 of the three numbers that
make up RPI were somewhat close between CC & Minnesota (Win%, OppOppWin%),
one gave a huge edge to the Gophers - OppWin%.  Here is a look at
those numbers.

*                        G    W  L  T    Win%    Win%    Win%   RPICH
 4  Minnesota           40   24-11- 5   .6625   .5236   .5144   .5560
13  Colorado College    39   23-11- 5   .6538   .4721   .5187   .5292

Yet, the real question isn't CC's comparison to Minnesota in the RPI,
it is CC's comparison to the team that beat it out, MSU (12th).  And
here, although CC has the edge in Win% and OppOppWin%, MSU's edge in
OppWin% carried it to an edge in RPI.

*                        G    W  L  T    Win%    Win%    Win%   RPICH
12  Michigan State      39   22-12- 5   .6282   .4963   .5037   .5311
13  Colorado College    39   23-11- 5   .6538   .4721   .5187   .5292

And again, going back to the process that was followed, these two
teams were close enough (difference < .01) that other factors could be
looked at in doing the comparison.  MSU won those factors, 3-1.  MSU
got one point each for RPI, record in last 20 and common opponents.  CC
got one point for record vs teams under consideration, and there were
no head-to-head games between the two.

The difference was so slight, only .0019 by RPICH...yet if the two
teams' positions were reversed, CC would have gotten the nod.  That's
because the factors would have been even 2-2, and the tiebreaker, RPI,
would have gone to CC.

I believe that once the committee decides to go to other factors -
because RPI is deemed too close to call - then RPI should NOT be one
of the factors that are looked at.  This is my major beef with the
process, second being a tie between allowing lower seeded teams to
stay at home and preventing matchups between teams from the same
conference in the first round.  I say, let the chips fall where they
may.

* - Numbers are from the RPICH produced by Erik Biever on 3/20/94.  These
numbers are close enough to the actual RPI used by the committee that
we can refer to them.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>