Bill Schneller writes:
>I don't care to start a new rumor mill spinning, but has anyone heard
>anything linking the lack of word on RPI going to Hockey East and the
>possibility of Providence possible downgrading their program (and
>presumably leaving HE.)

I have not, and I do not believe the two are related.  HE and RPI
expressed an interest in each other a long time ago, way before I ever
heard the first rumblings that PC might decide to downgrade its
program.  And HE has said before that their ideal number of teams
would be 12 and they hope to reach that within several years.
Intentionally accepting one team in place of another would not help
that cause.

It is certainly possible that RPI will enter HE and PC will exit.  But
I think there is no relation between these two situations.  Regardless
of whatever RPI decides to do, PC is apparently grappling with some
financial questions in its athletic department.  Lamoriello is rumored
to have some influence at PC still and so I would expect him to lobby
against any downgrading, but anything is possible.  I hope it does not
happen.
Mike Machnik                                             [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                     *HMM* 11/13/93