> Well, it looks (from the most recent posts) that Maine will be allowed to play
> in the HE tournament.  For better, worse or indifferent, that is a real
> possibility (indeed, may be a reality and the news isn't out yet).
>
> Has HE got a contingency plan?  Will they automatically seed Maine 8th, or can
> they allow the top three other finishers "right of refusal" like CCHA gives
> it's top 5 vs Alaska-Fairbanks?
>
> To me, the best thing to do would be to give the "right of refusal", but I
> think BU'd be stupid to pick Merrimack over Maine because (as was pointed out
> in this forum) I'd rather face Maine best 2-of-3 on my home ice instead of
> risking a one game on neutral ice.  However, if BU balks on Maine, you can
> almost be sure #2 and #3 will, since that would still force a (probable) BU -
> Maine confrontation in the quarter finals.
>
> Just curious.
>
> Steve

Well, I am not not sure which way is better (2 out of 3 at home) or 1 in the
Garden, but I will play "devil's advocate" for a second and point out that due
to a recent altercation late in the BU-Providence game, BU will be without four
of its players, two of them excellent defensemen for the next game.  No insult
intended towards Merrimack, but I would rather face Maine with a full
contingent than down 4.  McKersie, the goalie, is not vital for the game since
we have Herlofsky, but what if Herlofsky gets hurt?  There is very VERY bad
blood between Herlofsky and a few certain Maine players that led to them
running him and him sticking them.  If one of them runs Herlofsky and he has to
leave the game...

I am not saying that I would definitely push back and play Merrimack instead,
but it would NOT be a stupid idea (or a chicken one, as some on the list have
implied).  I have to say that I am sorry that I ever stated (and I was the
first one on the list to post this idea) that if BU could not beat Maine at
home that they did not deserve to win the tourney.  It is being stated a bit
too much.  I am getting the feeling from a few individuals like I am 7 years
old again and they are trying to get me to do something stupid, "com'on...
whad-a-ya, chicken???"

For the record, I will state again that I think there was no precident to ban
Maine from the Hockey East Tourney, but that the lawsuit (or restraining order)
did even more damage to college hockey.

I will stop here since I do not want to accidently post something emotional.

So... how do ya think RPI's chances are? :-)

How 'bout that EMass HS tourney tonight at the Garden? :-)

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre