For this post, I am shunning the now-time-honored tradition on
HOCKEY-L of not using the term "NCAA" in messages, because I think the
NCAA deserves a pat on the back for a job well done in the Tardif case.

To me, the key part of the decision is that Tardif's eligibility has
been restored.  This surprised me a bit.  I thought it was distinctly
possible that as with Cal Ingraham and others, the NCAA would rule
that Tardif would have to sit out as many games as he played while
ineligible - in this case, 21 - and that would effectively end the
senior's college career.

But they restored Tardif's eligibility, because the NCAA felt Tardif
should not be penalized by a mistake the university made.  The quote
from the Globe article which quoted the NCAA statement reads, "The
staff believed that Mr. Tardif, as well as other student-athletes,
were specifically mis-advised regarding the rule."

I'm happy to say I am thrilled with this decision and I hope it is a
sign of more common sense to come in the handling of cases by the
NCAA.  We waste little time in bashing the NCAA when they do something
ludicrous; I think they deserve to be recognized when they do
something right.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (16-16-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>