Since I have updated people on various prospects from EMass H.S. hockey,
I will now continue with some observations.

1st of all, the EMass talent right now is young.  There are many more prospects
in the upcoming year's classes than this year, IMHO.

But, for the ones who are going somewhere (or at least should be):

CM: (19-1-0)

Tom Noble, G, (to BU) had 11 shutouts in 20 games, great numbers, but did not
come up really big in the big games.  The book is still out on him.

Jeff Kealty, D, (to BU) (8-16-24) in 20 games.  Although he has not proven
himself in the HNIB series (summer all-star tourney), he has *always* impressed
in the high school games (even against the top teams).  Although skinny, his
quickness and ranging ability give him the label of "potential."

Mike Sylvia, F, (to BU) (25-35-60) in 20 games.  Finished second in the
Catholic Conference in scoring, his occassional mistakes are outweighed by his
creative ability.  He will not challenge for 1st line next year, but he will be
a good player for many years to come (4, hopefully).

Doug Nolan, F, (unclaimed) (12-30-42) in 20.  Nolan is not going to be an
overwhelming force in college, but his tough, hard-nosed play complimented with
good fundamentals will get him into somewhere.  If he preps a year, look out!

St. John's Prep.: (18-1-1)

Kris Hanson, F, (undecided) (?-?-61) in 20.  This boy is a sniper.  He is not
the greatest all-around player, and he is small (short but built), but he just
has a nose for putting the puck in the net.  He has expressed interest in UNH,
UMass/Amherst, and UMass/Lowell (I think) and would be a good pick-up for any
of those teams.  Personally, I think he would be the best fit at Northeastern
under Ben Smith, but that may also be too much of the same for NU.

Chris Devin, G, (unclaimed).  Well, his coach likes him.  I don't. (as a
player)  Maybe if he comes up big in the tourney, he could catch some eyes,
otherwise, he might try walking on as a #3 goalie somewhere.

Arlington HS: (20-0-0)

Andy Powers, D, (undecided) (36-36-72) in 20.  SEVENTY-TWO POINTS FROM A
DEFENSEMAN!!!  I can not believe no one has gotten their hands on him yet!
Personally, I think he may be one of the most hotly pursued prospects in the
country once the tourney is over. (legally, no one can talk to him until then)
He is the one that I said earlier was the first defenseman in Burns's 45+ years
of coaching HS hockey that he has allowed to create and be offensive.

Joe Robillard (37-32-69), Mike Ortwein (22-28-50), and Jeff Russell (27-27-54)
have nice numbers, but are unknowns in my mind since I have not seen them play
against anyone good yet.  (They have, but I was not there)  Although I have
heard nothing about their future, I know UNH has had good luck getting
Arlington HS players in the past, so maybe one might turn up there.  Maybe.

YOUTH:

I'll just give y'all an idea of the youthful stars in the Super 8 this year.

Ryan Southard (Jr), F, (23-27-50) Arlington Catholic

Mike Souza (So), F, (27-27-54) Wakefield (when Wakefield is 19-0-1 in hockey,
       you KNOW something is not right in the world.) (and the Middlesex League
       is good too!?!)

Blake Bellefeuille (So), F, (25-48-73) Great numbers, now we'll see Framingham
       play some REAL tough teams.

T.C. Harris (Fr), F, (22-26-48) A Frosh leading Matignon in scoring.  Ungh!
       The last time Matignon had a young player leading them, it was a
       sophomore All-Scholastic named Shawn McEachern.

Sorry, Falmouth has no talent.  16-0-4 or not.  Competition-wise, that would be
       like UMass/Amherst making the NCAA tourney because they have a "good"
       record.  Please.  They open up with CM.  Ouch!  To anyone who watches
       that game this Sunday, don't be fooled, CM is not as unbeatable as they
       are going to look.

I, myself, will not be able to make it this Sunday, :-(  but would appreciate
any updates on how specific players looked (Dave?).  I will try very hard to
be at any other games in the future.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre