After reading Michael Bohler's problems with his local sports bar,  I started
to feel sort of lucky.  Being in an area that supports college hockey quite
well, almost all (I haven't been to ALL of them yet in Lansing) of the sports
bars here are more than willing to put on a college hockey game (though I've
never tried when the team that's on isn't Michigan State).

Due to the luck of having someone like Neil Koepke, who writes for the Lansing
State Journal, in the area keeps the local fans pretty well-informed about
college hockey (occassionally I rant about mistakes in his articles, but, hey,
at least he's writing).  So, you could probably say that at MSU, hockey is
not considered another Division I sport, but the third revenue-generating
sport for the University (not exactly on par with football or "orange-ball,"
but we aren't as bad as baseball either).  A couple national championships
and the winningest coach in college hockey will do wonders for your program.

crease the following of college hockey.  I've already convinced at least two
people and almost hooked a few more into the idea that getting hockey tickets
is "way cooler" than "orange-ball" tickets.  But I think college hockey will
not become a nationally known sport until it is played at the DivI level in
ALL areas of the country (that doesn't mean every DivI school has a hockey
team, but at least someone nearby has one).  The explosion in the popularity
of the NHL didn't occur until two things happened: 1) Gretzky came to LA;
and 2) teams started showing up in cities like San Jose and Miami with, for-
tunately or unfortunately, neat logos (that doesn't mean that the logos are
the only reason, just that people who hadn't seen hockey LIVE in the same
arena all of a sudden got exposed to it and found out they liked it).

By the way, Munn Arena for the West Regionals allowed reentry into the arena.
We also have a press box instead of carving up seats to make one.  But, not
being a media person, I can't vouch for the food. :-)

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?