Keith Instone writes:

>At first, it seems like a travesty that WCHA first-place Colorado
>College did not get an NCAA bid. But let's look at it a little closer.

>But admit it, their league record is not that good for a first-place
>team.  Michigan compiled a 24-5-1 record in the league (.817), Harvard
>16-2-4 (.864) and BU 19-4-1 (.813). Those three first-place teams were
>basically locks in the NCAA--not because they won their league--because
>they compiled a good record doing it.

This arguement lacks one important ingredient.  The WCHA doesn't have any teams
that are bad.  The WCHA doesn't have any teams like Yale, Dartmouth, St.
Lawrence, Princeton, Kent, Ohio State, Ill-Chicago, Cornell, etc...  It's a
lot easier to put up a big winning percentage when several of the teams in
your conference are "not the good".  The WCHA had a lot of parody this year,
which brings winning percentages down, but makes for great games.  5 of the top
15 teams in the RPI ratings were from the WCHA.  If Wisconsin played Kent 4
times a year, their numbers would have been better.  I don't see the logic in
your reasoning.

Rob Holmes
Dept. of Meteorology