> From Phil <[log in to unmask]>
>
> have no idea.  The athletic department is also attempting to "clean up" the
> cheers of the students by banning certain words and phrases in order to create
> a "family atmosphere".  The athletic department would like to see a large turn
> out of fans, but they are also trying to harness the enthusiasm of the crowd in
>  this censorship attempt.  We'll see what effect their efforts have next season

I hope they do it right.

I went to Clarkson's 1st game at Cheel, their new arena.  A pamphlet
was handed out that encouraged fans to shout certain cheers, hold up a
paper when they announced the other team, etc.  All nice, clean, fun.
It did not point out things not to do.  There was also the bell from
Walker.  I remember seeing banners w/ an RIP logo when we played RPI.

Now I go to Dartmouth & read the sign saying "No banners" as I enter.
The crowd is fairly quiet unless another team has a strong
contingent.  Then you hear those fans cheering.

I've heard rumors that some students were thrown out for yelling at
the opposing goalie.  Is this true?  The way it was described sounded
exactly like the "anti-goalie" kind of cheers I've heard at any other
arena (UVM, Clarkson, RPI, Union, and Boston Garden).

The main reason I like college hockey is the fans.  NHL players are
quick, pass better, hustle more.  But the crowd doesn't cheer like the
college crowd.  And they don't have pep bands.

I hope the censorship attempt doesn't eliminate some of the best parts
of college hockey.  Every time I go to Dartmouth, I really miss the
Clarkson fans....