Here's an article about Gopher hockey from the Weekly World Daily, otherwise
known as the finals week issue of the Minnesota Daily.

******

The Gopher hockey team  prepared for a possible playoff run by
signing Olympians Dan Jansen, Tonya Harding and  Alberto Tomba.

All year long the Gophers have sought leadership, physical play and
scoring ability, and they believe the  addition of these three
players will fill those holes.

Jansen, after fulfilling his lifetime dream of skating to an Olympic
gold medal, was signed to give Minnesota a veteran leader that could
help the young players adapt to the high pressure situations, like
that of the playoffs.

``We need experience on this team,'' Coach Doug Woog said. ``That's
an issue for us.''

The touchy issue of the three signings concerned the fact that none
of them are Minnesota citizens, going against Woog's policy of only
recruiting Minnesotans. However, Gov. Arne Carlson announced that all
three would be named honorary Minnesota citizens, making them
eligible.

This issue was particularly touchy in the case of Jansen, who is from
Wisconsin, home of the hated Badgers. In order to become eligible,
Jansen had to renounce his Wisconsin citizenship and was forced to
sit in a blank room for 24 hours straight while University officials
pumped The Rouser in through loudspeakers and showed him slides of
people experiencing allergic reactions to dairy products.

It was clear that Jansen was cured when he took a 50-question test on
the state of Wisconsin, and, when asked to identify the Rose Bowl,
told officials that it was the present he gave to his in-laws for
Christmas.

Harding, after being embroiled in a bitter lawsuit concerning her
possible role in the Nancy Kerrigan attack, was looking for a
diversion, and seems to have found it in the sport of hockey. Woog
said her signing fills the Gophers' need for another goon.

``We need more physical play,'' Woog said. ``That's a big issue for
us.''

Harding's abilities may prove a detriment at times. In a recent
practice she slashed defenseman Chris McAlpine across the knee,
sidelining him for the rest of the afternoon.

``Why me?'' McAlpine was heard to utter after being helped off the
ice. ``Why now? Why?''

McAlpine should be ready to return for the remainder of the playoffs,
and expressed no hard feelings, even asking Harding for tips on how
to deal with referees.

Harding's arrival meant more work for the team's equipment managers,
however. Team officials reported 10 cases of skate laces were ordered
because of Harding's propensity for breaking shoelaces when asked
about her ex-husband Jeff Gillooly.

Tomba's was a curious signing. The Gophers said they needed a scorer,
but Tomba's abilities in this area don't seem to match his efforts.
Just ask Katarina Witt, who, while earning her second figure skating
gold medal in 1988, spent the better part of the Calgary games trying
to get Tomba off her back.

``We need someone who's a real pest in front of the net,'' Woog said.
``I really believe that's a serious issue for us.''

Tomba's signing created a media circus when he vowed to score at
least three goals in every game. It was later found out that
reporters misunderstood the dashing Tomba's broken English. What he
had meant to say was that he planned to score three ``girls'' in
every game.

It remains to be seen if the three new players will succeed in their
intentions during game action. But there figures to be more
excitement to come in what has already been a wild season.