Neil Goldberg writes:
>   Boston University cleaned out their Maine anxiety closet and won
>on the ice what Hockey East couldn't win in court, defeating Maine 4-3
>Saturday to sweep ythe HE quarterfinal series 2-0. The Black Bears title
>defense effort is now over.

Their HE title, yes, but they can still make a strong case for an NC$$
bid.  It will be interesting to see how the committee deals with this.
Will Maine stay on the ice for the next week, waiting to see what
happens?

This is the first year since 1986 that Maine has not appeared in the
HE Final Four - also the first year since 1986 that Maine will not
appear in the final.  That breaks a 7 year streak.

>   BU advances to the semifinals versus Northeastern at Boston Garden Friday
>at 5 p.m.  Lowell plays UNH at 8 p.m.

BU should handle NU, but Lowell-UNH will be a battle I think.  UNH has
given Lowell fits all year...but if Lowell gets by them, I like their
chances to bring home their first HE title.  BU's penalty killing has
apparently been terrible lately, and Lowell's 5th in the nation power
play scored 5 PPGs this weekend.

Nice to see that even though the home teams swept all four series, the
second game of each series was decided by a goal (if you consider that
Merrimack-Lowell was 1-0 till a minute and a half left).
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (16-19-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>