Case closed.

        Boston University cleaned out their Maine anxiety closet and won
ixx on the ice what Hockey East couldn't win in court, defeating Maine 4-3
Saturday to sweep ythe HE quarterfinal series 2-0. The Black Bears title defense
is now effort.xxx over.

        In one of the most emotional and exciting games in the last two or three
years at Brown Arena, BU held off a fierce Maine rally in the last 10 minutes
as the Black Bears tried to tie it up after falling behind midway through
the third, but BU's woeful penalty killing (all eight Maine goals this weekend were
via powerplay) got it's act together for a big kill with under three minutes
to go in the third for the win.

        Peter Ferraro also figured in every Maine gola this weekendxxxxx (disregard)

        Tied at two late in the second, BU forward Jay Pandolfo gave the Terriers the big goal they needed taking a beautiful blueline-to-blueline pass from Chris O'Sullivn and goimng in
alone on Blair Allison with Maine defenseman Jason Mansoff draped all over him. Pandolfo
went high on Allison and bagged the top corner for a 3-2 BU lead.

        Early in the third, BU senior forward Jon Jenkins, playing in his last
Brown Arena game would score what he called the "biggest goal of my career," tipping
a corner pass from Jon Pratt up and over Blair Marsh (replaced Allison at 2nd intem.) for
a texxx two-goal cushion.

        But Cal Ingraham would cut the lead with one of his patented open net onetimers
at 5:52 of the third setting up a wild final 14 minutes, probably the most exciting
hockey in this conference this year.

        Dan Shermerhorn of Maine had one of the Bears best scoring chances on a quick
wrister from the right side, but was hauled down by O'Sullivan setting up a Bear power
play with 2:51 left in  the game. Maine made a mockery of the BU man-down unit
all weekend long, but the Terriers caeme up with a kill out of nowhere.

        The two scoring cahnces ixx on the advantage were an Ingraham miss that reboundd
of thhe back boards to Justin Tomberlin that BU gaolei J.P. McKersie stopped on his back
from the stuff in. Jacques Rodrique then set himself up with a slapshot from the center
point through a see of sticks and skates but hit none of them as the puck smacked McKersie
squarely in the chest.

        Maine dumped the puck in on McKersie with about 10 seconds left. It originally
appeared he would hold for the faceoff giving Maine one more opportunity witj a few
ticks left, but whet he saw a lane open up down the middle, Mckersie dropped the puck and
fired it through everybodey down the ice as the clock zeroed.

        "The difference in the game was their guy fieres a puck through a screen and
it goes in the top corner," Maine coach Shawn Walsh said of O'Sullivans right point
shot that gave BU a 2-1 lead early in the second. "And our guy shoots through a screed
and hits the goalie square iin the chest."

        "BU's proven they are the best team in the league and I hope they go onecxxx on
to bring Hockey East back-to-back championships," he added.

        As you all axx know, this series was mandated by court order and w xx Walsh addeessed
the matter after the game.

        "We are grateful to Hockey east for getting the chance to play tonight," Walsh said.
"We got it away from administrators and got it back on the ice level-- and the people who
were rewarded were the players, the teams and the fans."

        "I told jack parker after the game I only hope we make them a better team from
this weekend,'' he added.

        Walsh said after the game that he "absolutely" will be back as Black Bear coach
next season. "I can't leave. These kind of games just add fuel to the fire."

        Walsh took a swipe at UNH in defense of his team when talking about the week's
court evensts. "There hasn't been any miscounduct among our players. there haven't
been any arrests."

        For BU the win tonight was the type a team needs to be battle tested come tournament
time considering w/o the Beanpot, there haven't been many ``big'' games this year. BU playes
talked about the importance of sexxxxdj sweeping Maine rather than having a bye.

        "We were very gald to have Maine come down here," BU defenseman Rich Brennan said.
"Having a two week lay-off before you play a game is really tough."

        "We played a great team and I don't think we're going to see many teams
with a as much talent up front as Maine has all year," BU coach Jack Parker said.
"There's no question that not having to sit out the two weeks was great. After
the mess the week was with there in' there out'' (excuse punctuation) we really
came out focused.''

        So how about that injunction business?

        "We should go by the rules," Parker said."But its a moot point now."

        BU advances to the semifinals versus Northeastern at Boston Garden Friday at 5 p.m.
        Lowlell plays UNH at 8 p.m.