While I've seen the hundreds of postings from both sides, I wanted to put
my $0.02 to the list.

Let me preface my opinions by saying that I didn't have the best seat in
the house (I always seem to get stuck behind those darn poles!! :-) ).
So, I'll try to offer my best thoughts.

First, in regards to J.F. Houle. After the Cuthbert tripping penalty on
Conroy, I saw, out of the corner of my eye, Houle go down like a bolt of
lightning. I don't think he would have dropped to the ice like that unless
he was nailed, which he certainly was. The Cuthbert penalty could have gone
either way, I feel. It seems that regardless whether or not he knocked the
puck away first is irrelevant. The ref saw that Conroy was tripped, thus
the penalty. I was not surprised that he called it, but it could have also
been a non-call. (Even though Clarkson fans, including myself, would have
lobbied for a penalty, legit or not) As for Houle, his knockdown should
have been called. Even though it was right in front of me, I didn't see it
until Coach Morris and the trainer were attending to him. That is, I didn't
think he was hurt that bad until he was being attended to.

Second, the game-winner by Askew shouldn't have been allowed!! This one,
though at the other end of the ice, I did see -- on the 6:00 news the next
evening! It seemed to me that Pasco WAS under his own power when he collided
with Jason Currie. He proceeded to knock Currie into the net, thus injuring
CU's goalie. I was surprised that the net wasn't knocked off until I remembered
that RPI still uses the posts that stick up a few inches off the ice. Anyway,
at this point there should have been a whistle. Several of the players
stopped, except for Askew, who made a heads-up play by putting the puck into
the net, just in case. ;-) Well, it worked to RPI's benefit, obviously.

IMHO, this could possibly have some minor ramifications on the playoffs. As
Glenn Gale stated, I would also love to see Clarkson & RPI meet again in the
playoffs. I hope this non-call doesn't affect anything. It certainly affected
Mark Morris' opinions of the officiating. Because the relatively cool Morris
let his feelings known to thr zebras afterwards. Rightfully so, as well!

The alleged booing in Houston Fieldhouse continued long after the penalty to
Cuthbert. I'm not sure whether RPI faithful were upset at Houle also, or
just the penalty. If the former is true (and I certainly hope it isn't) then
I'm amazed at the RPI contingent. That is a perfect example of a lack of
sportsmanship!

To paraphrase Glenn, it's overwith and we can't do a thing about it. Again,
let's get on with our lives and hope for faboulous playoffs!

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93
Union College '9?